Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#10031 by DBrennfoerder
Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 pm
I'm on a business trip and the laptop is loading aec files very slowly. I can't understand why and am looking for ideas. One file is only 2,078k, another is 4,256k. I dumped xref's and bitmaps and set the printer to pdf995 on the hard drive, so it shouldn't be looking on the office network for images, reference files or printers. Opening up an existing file or saving a loaded file is equally painful, taking abut 2 min 45 sec. I am often off of the office network working with clients in the field and this has not been a problem before. I checked the task manager while one save was in progress and it showed no unusual cpu activity. For comparison, the 2,078 file was loaded by a co-worker at the office in 3 seconds. :?: Just now the 2,078 k file took 1:33 to load, with cpu usage at 1-2% 59 processes running, 468 meg PF usage, 150 =/- meg free physical memory.
#10032 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:41 pm
Greetings Dwight,

The Page File usage is probably key -- laptop HD's are not nearly as fast as desktop models, and if there is less RAM in the system, that could explain the difference.

Also, turn off all unecessary nested XRef's -- these can cause the quantity of temp files to mushroom. You have to turn it off, and then hit Apply for each XRef -- you can't do this as a group. Doing this can help a lot!

IHTH
#10046 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:44 am
You can turn off nesting on all the Xrefs at once from the Xref manager ;)
#10084 by DBrennfoerder
Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:06 pm
Neil/Josh, see the earlier post, as I mentioned then, I deleted all xrefs and bitmaps, so there was nothing else connected to try to load from anywhere, even itself. As for PF usage, I don't know what it usually has been, but it hasn't usually been slow at all. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9100, Pentium 4, and seems as fast or faster than any PC's in the office. Specs say it has 667 Mhz RAM, 5400 RPM HD.