Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13034 by Sinha
Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:38 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:
What about other improvements such as,
7. What do you mean by "Menus in Context?"

Hello Mark, First I wanna thank you for listening.
Regarding Context:
Eg,
1.Print Preview - It would be much better to Have full print-setup Section right on the Print Preview. So We don't have to go out of that menu to set up paper size etc. Setting up Printer/Paper/Etc. Right on the Print Preview will be nice.

2. Hatch - It will be good to combine the Hatch Menus right inside the Hatch Manager. So just press "H" and Hatch Manager pops up together with all settings right there such a "EGAFML" Patterns/Boundary

3.Symbol Explode "EGAFML"- Found under 3D Menus - If that could be brought under the mouse right click or appropriate place.

4."SWOTHLUDFB" could also have "Dimensions/Overshoot/Insert Point/Attributes/CurveCenter/Hatch Origin" So we go to one place to toggle these off and not two.

I could mention more but I guess these are just a few
Thanks
#13039 by Paul Nida
Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:52 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:
What about other improvements such as,
1.Arcs - Under Ployline, when you drag, it shows segments, Will it have a smooth factor?
2.Dynamic Leader Arrows - Changing its orientation with leader
3.Polyline Snapping, Automatic Snapping, Snapping Flyouts
4.Smooth Arc Factor with Custom Lines?
5.Ctrl-Right Click to Explode Dimensions
6.Override Text in Associated Dimensions
7.Menus in Context?

1. Yes, arcs now draw smoothly during dynamic input based on the current arc factor setting.
2. Not implemented yet, but it is on our to do list.

That is curious, I remember hearing that had been demonstrated prior to the release of version 11.
3. Yes, object snapping now applies to polylines.

Good deal.
4. Custom lines will always be limited to the number of segments in the line type definition.

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT GOOD.

5. You'll be able to access the entity properties editor for any entity via [Ctrl] + Right-click.
6. Custom text in associative dimensions is not implemented yet but is on our to do list.

This will be helpfull when it is implemented.
7. What do you mean by "Menus in Context?"

I think what he wants is to have all of the menus and iicons be context sensitive so that only those appropriate for the current drawing context show. Thus freeing up screen real estate. Some of this could probably be done now with the context toolbar if you wanted to spend time setting it up.
#13040 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:18 pm
4. Custom lines will always be limited to the number of segments in the line type definition.
THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT GOOD.

There has to be a way to create these custom windows linetypes right? I mean if there is only a few dashed linetypes what would be the point in having them other than to solve the curve problems for a matching Datacad linetype?
#13042 by Paul Nida
Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:42 pm
I have played with the Windows linetypes in Corel Draw. You can create your own but they are limited to straight line dots and dashes. You can create different types of dashed lines, dotted lines, dot dashes, etc. Basically you are limited to just varying the spaces. Pretty limited and the length of the line definition is limited also. The line definition can only be one unit wide and 60 units long. The first dot has to be black and the last dot has to be white and you are limited to 5 dashes. Wonderful. Just f'ing wonderful.

I say again THIS IS NOT GOOD.

I can't tell you how disapointed I am in this. Words just fail me
#13043 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:33 pm
Hello Paul,

The current custom linetypes are still in DataCAD 12, so if you don't want to use the Windows linetypes, then you don't have to. The Windows linetypes are useful for some situations, like curved Property lines.
#13044 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:51 pm
I'm sure Paul knows that the other linetypes are still in there, but if Paul's description is accurate for how Datacad's will use these windows linetypes, then I'd have to agree with him that they don't belong in a CAD program, and that a fix should be found for the actual line types, even if it's much later. What other real usefulness would they have over our current linetypes other than this curve issue?
#13045 by Paul Nida
Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:42 pm
Josh is right Neil, I do realize the current line types are still there. What I want is for those to work on curves. It is something that I have wanted since I started working on the program in 1987. Having some sort of property line that works on curves is better than the embarrassing situation we have now (and have had for 20+ years). But this is still not the solution to the problem, it is simply a bandaid. You still won't be able to use more complicated linetypes on curves. I think this is ridiculous and unacceptable. FIX THE DAMN LINETYPES.

And another thing, I think it is ridiculous that we STILL CANNOT PROPERLY FILLET CURVES. After all of these years we still can't properly fillet curves to curves or curves to lines. It boggles my mind that Mark Madura is an architect and still doesn't seem to realize how important these seemingly minor things really are.
#13052 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:39 am
Hi Paul,

I agree with you on the DataCAD linetypes -- they should be made to work on curves. All the same, for the moment (in v12) we will be able to have more linetypes that work on curves -- like a Property line.
#13057 by Dick Eades
Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:23 am
I can't see how you can expect some linetypes to work properly around a curve. Can the parts that go beyond the defining line be compressed for the inside of a curve and the other side be expanded? Think about Insul or the cmu lines. What about linetypes that are designed to draw brick? I can see the importance and the utility in having simple linetypes work smoothly around curves but I can't imagine a way to make this work on complex examples. Let's fix the simple linetypes that remain in-line and consist only of gaps and segments.
#13059 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:44 am
Dick Eades wrote:I can't see how you can expect some linetypes to work properly around a curve. Can the parts that go beyond the defining line be compressed for the inside of a curve and the other side be expanded? Think about Insul or the cmu lines. What about linetypes that are designed to draw brick? I can see the importance and the utility in having simple linetypes work smoothly around curves but I can't imagine a way to make this work on complex examples. Let's fix the simple linetypes that remain in-line and consist only of gaps and segments.

I think the reason we should expect it is because almost every other program is able to do it and it's so elementary. I'm sure there must be some real limitation at the core of the program that is why this has not been resolved. And yes complex patterns probably shouldn't be expected to not look perfect, but for small pattern linetypes like a Insul, Plywood, it should work eventually. There has to be some formula to distort an image along a curve that could be applied to linetypes I would think. I'm not trying ragging on the "team" quite as much as Paulio :wink: , but this is pretty lame and I don't see the usefulness of the Windows linetypes other than to fix this one problem. Which honestly for me has never been a real problem, but for others it sounds quite important. Maybe there are other advantages we don't know about yet that Datacad has up their sleeve, we will just have to wait and see.
#13063 by Paul Nida
Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 pm
Sorry guys, this is just one of those things that I have lived with so long and have asked for it to be fixed and put on wish lists, etc. It just drives me crazy. And yes I do need user line types on curves pretty often. The biggest one is of course property lines and maybe the Windows line types will be satisfactory for that. It just seems that the math is there for the hard wired line types, why can't it be used for the user line types.
#13122 by Giuseppe Barberio
Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:09 pm
Hi Josh,

I was just wondering if you were close to posting the video of Dcad 12. When it is posted where do I go to download it?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
#13124 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:23 pm
Neil mailed the tape on the 3rd. It took 3 weekdays to get the tape to him originally, so I'd guess the tape will be here today or tomorrow. Don't worry it's high on my list of things to do :D It will be hosted on my website. I will post a link to it here for sure.
#13125 by Giuseppe Barberio
Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:29 pm
Josh, just wanted to say thanks to you & Neil for all the extra work, help, and info you have passed along.

Looking forward to seeing the video

Sincerely,

Giuseppe
#13126 by Heinrich
Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:52 pm
Speaking of the website, Josh I tried to log on ( it's been a few weeks ) and it's telling me "You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password.".
I know a while back you mentioned something about this, care to reiterate?
Thanks.

-Redd