Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13127 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:05 pm
I had a naughty little spam bot wreak havoc on the forum and while trying to do a repair from the phpbb website I lost the existing accounts. So those who had accounts have to recreate them. You can click the member list button on the top of the page to see if you have a account or not. Redd yours looks like it was removed, sorry :( You can create a new one no prob, and we shouldn't have anymore issues as the forum is properly backed up frequently now.
#13128 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:38 pm
Also, for those of you who are now trying to access my site today, the site is down for maintenance while the admins are upgrading Ruby support. The site should be back up very soon.
#13214 by joshhuggins
Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:55 am
The videos are done but I'm waiting for Marks approval. I sent him an email yesterday morning. You know those big wigs, he's probably on a tropical island somewhere of the coast of Boston. :D I finished Neil's presentation this morning. I'll post it now. BRB
#13222 by Giuseppe Barberio
Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:26 am
Josh,

I watched Neil's presentation video on MSP. Unfortunately, I could not see the datacad screen that was being projected and video taped for us to follow.

I could here & see everything else in the room just fine. Neils presentaition seemed very helpful. (Thanks Neil)

I am hoping that the Next videos will be visable.

Thanks for all the work in getting this together and sharing with all.

Sincerely,

Giuseppe
#13226 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 pm
Hello Josh,

How does one do a video capture? I made a copy onto VHS before I sent you the original -- if I could capture the bits that you used and then FTP'd them to you, maybe that could get better quality versions? 'Cuz there is almost nothin' left -- unless the video projector's flicker in combonation with the reduced frame/data rate, that is what is causing the streaking?
#13228 by joshhuggins
Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:55 pm
I borrowed a Hi-8 camera and used my digital video camera as a pass thru device (analog to digital video) and captured the video via firewire. This is the best capture method I know of for a Hi-8 Tape. The streaking is actually on the tape it self and not caused by the conversion process. The RAW digital capture of the tape ended up around 32 Gigs, which would be pretty much would be a no go on the FTP. You could probably do a capture using Windows Movie maker using a standard video-in on a video card and using a set of RCA to 1/8" mini plugs into your sound cards line in, but the quality will be poor (but not as bad as what we have now of course). I just got done capturing a hi-8 tape to burn to DVD for the owner of the camera (that's was the borrowing fee)using the same method for the and his tape worked fine, so I think our tape must have got zapped :( We can see if we can find a suitable way to mail a tape protected, and maybe you could dub the VHS tape. I would like to see Neil's better presentation too!

I've actually seen this type of streaking before due to a magnetic source. If I remember correctly the areas of with light colors are pulled towards the magnetic source streaking across the tape. Had something to do with the magnetics of the light colored information is pulled easier. But something magnetic would have had to been within approx. two inches of the tape, so it's hard to say what exactly happened. Mark's videos are a little better to follow along with the black background.
#13235 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:12 pm
Hi Josh,

BTW, the DBUG meeting was a hum-dinger -- it lasted until after 11:00pm! Over five hours, when they typically last a little over three hours...we didn't tape Manny Snyderman's portion, and we obviously missed the last 2 hours plus.