Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13590 by spinfox
Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 pm
I wish to know what are the real benefit to use xref?

in compare to the copy/paste old metod?
thanks
#13594 by Graeme
Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:57 pm
One of the major advantages is that you only have to change something in one place and the change is reflected throughout....

Worth using for sure...
#13599 by spinfox
Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:36 am
oh now i get it

if i have a facade of a building with 100 windows, i can make a reference file for that window, and then if the design changes i only have to modify the source windows, then all other will update automatically. its that correct??
#13601 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:30 am
Hello,

Well yes, but in that instance (a window) it would be a lot better to use a symbol instead. XRef's are better for portions of a plan/section/elevation to be used as a detail. Like a stair plan that uses a portion of the full plan.
#13613 by Paul Nida
Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:04 am
Neil,

While I agree with your basic premise, I don't necessarily agree that symbols would be a better way to go with the windows example. After they are change symbols have to be updated in every file in which they occur. So if someone forgets to update the symbols in one file, then the windows in that file will be wrong. While ZREFs are automatically updated every time the file is opened. So I am not sure symbols are better in that instance. Having said that, I would use symbols also.
#13615 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:45 am
I like Paul's idea on using the xrefs for that type of use, my only concern would be that the xrefs once you get up to about 50 or so seem to really slow things down. I wish there was a way to get drawings to always update their symbol definitions from their source (hard drive, network location) when the file is opened, saved or regenerated and only use the drawings internal symbol information only if the external information is not available, like when sent to a consultant. I'm constantly having to Reload all symbols to get my symbols to update.