Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13635 by deliriousga
Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:20 am
We occasionally have a problem with the DataCAD .png thumbnails that are created when the CAD file is saved. When we browse the folder containing the thumbnails over the network, Windows Explorer will lock up completely. I can do a remote login and view everything from locally on the server without a problem so I delete the .png files and everyone can go back to that folder over the network again without any problems.

So, has anyone else run into this problem and is there a way to fix it? I guess one of the .png files gets corrupted and causes the problem, but I need it to stop since it's such a headache for my users on the network.
#13640 by devinder
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:26 am
You can set the preview file to be any jpg/bmp/tif/tga/pcx/pcd by setting/updating the following in Dcadwin.ini rather than png

[File Dialog]
Extension=jpg
;All preview files will be jpg.
#13642 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 am
I've seen this for various file formats that support thumbnails in explorer. It always seems to be tied to another application that has adjusted either the association of the file or added something to the actual rendering module explorer uses to display additional information about the file say in the common task area. FWIW.
#13643 by Sinha
Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:27 am
It is very surprising to me that Datacad has to create a separate windows file to show us the preview.
Why can't Datacad show the preview on it's own, without creating an additional image file?
#13648 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:52 pm
Sinha wrote:It is very surprising to me that Datacad has to create a separate windows file to show us the preview.
Why can't Datacad show the preview on it's own, without creating an additional image file?
This has been a wish/question of mine for quite a while. Think it was an easy thing to do to get us a preview window right away. One of the v.12 news releases mentioned bitmaps maybe save within the files when inserted into a file, so hopefully this means the preview file also will be within the file, but there has not been any public info on this. Hopefully if it does end up inside the file, windows explorer will be able to also support thumbnail views of the files too. An ini / program prefs. setting to increase the size/clarity of the preview file would be nice too.