Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13770 by spinfox
Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:14 am
In 1993 Roan R. Woody & Houston CAD of Spring, Texas sponsored a CAD program contest called Top Gun Cad Shoot Out. The contest rules were simple. Each would get the same simple floor plan and was to complete it with the least amount of keystrokes. Since this contest was looking to find the best overall cad program it seemed only logical that the best cad program could do the job with the least amount of keystrokes. Time was not a factor because being a fast typist does not reflect on the cad programs ease of use. Each mouse click counted as a keystroke. The shift, Alt and Ctrl keys when combined with another key were counted as one. There was specific symbols that were allowed. The winning stakes were $250.00 and their Cad programs reputation. DataCAD won with a total of 620 keystrokes. Cadvance came in second with 845 keystrokes. AutoCAD finished next to last with 1180 keystrokes. Not only did the winner use the least amount of keystrokes but the second and third place winners used DataCAD on their computers also. Time is money, so those drafting firms that use DataCAD on their computers can save you money.

Combined, our team has been using DataCAD for over 35 years and have mastered it well. DataCADs 2d, 2 1/2d and 3d drawings can be done with just a point and click. This makes the drawing process fast and smooth. All the dimensions that are on your drawings are 100% accurate to scale. So, when using DataCAD to design your home, It takes less time which saves you money. DataCAD capabilities out surpass other major CAD programs in both ease of use and speed. DataCAD is also able to use multiple plot scales on the same sheet, which is a major plus in the architectural field. You will not see the note "not to scale" on any of our plans, sections, elevations or details. Everything is drawn to scale and is clearly noted on each sheet. We have tried other CAD programs like Auto, Versa, Home, others and found that they either lacked ease of use or could not print everything to exact scale. Our opinion, DataCAD is the fastest and most accurate CAD program available on the market today. We use DataCAD, which is fast and accurate, which in turn saves you money.

Nice explaniation to theirs clients, Datacad rocks!!!!
I agree in all the points...
8) well not to mention datacad its no older to 20 years :lol:
#13782 by joshhuggins
Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:20 pm
Great Story, thank you spinfox!
#13791 by Greg Blandin
Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:17 am
Not to say anything bad against DataCAD, but that article is 13 years old.

Things have changed.
#13793 by Brian Engebretson
Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:42 am
Greg Blandin wrote:Not to say anything bad against DataCAD, but that article is 13 years old.

Things have changed.

I was thinking the same thing.

What ever happened to those Architectural CAD Cup competitions they used to have? It’s been a few years since I have heard about one. It was fun to see how far down the list AutoCAD finished in those competitions. DataCAD won a couple times didn’t they?
#13795 by Sinha
Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:52 am
I agree with Greg,
Datacad may have been the topgun 13 years ago, but it has remain there in it's zone while other softwares have surpassed it.

eg. Inserting doors in Datacad takes 4 clicks....new softwares take 1
#13799 by Greg Blandin
Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:31 am
Sinha wrote:I agree with Greg,
Datacad may have been the topgun 13 years ago, but it has remain there in it's zone while other softwares have surpassed it.

eg. Inserting doors in Datacad takes 4 clicks....new softwares take 1

Slow down there Sinha...

Yeah there are CAD programs that can insert doors easier and with more information then DataCAD, BUT those programs are geared towards one architectural area.

For instance, SoftPlan can place a door easily and have a lot of information part of that door, but you can not use softplan for all the same time of drawings that DataCAD can do. Softplan is residential and light commercial (which I doubt really) specific.

Even AutoCAD has many branches to it's software. Architectural Desktop, Land Desktop, Civil 3D, Mechanical Desktop.

While AutoCAD does still have it's Vanilla version as well. Now a days if there is going to be a test, you have to match up system type to system type. DataCAD is basically a vanilla CAD program. You can do a little bit of everything with it. The fact that DataCAD is adding features that other companies sell as a specific program makes DataCAD very nice. It allows you to do more with 1 CAD program then having to buy multiple programs.
#13800 by Greg Blandin
Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:32 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hi folks,

Would you mind giving some specific examples, please? Is it really possible to enter a door in one click (without any "preparatory" clicks)?

DataCAD can....with Marks macro...Heh..
#13885 by spinfox
Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:30 pm
Marks Macro?.... What its that?

where i can get it?
where can i see more macros , in other place than datacad.com??

it is exist a macro can draw windows in curve walls? (curved glass windows)
i can doit by hand, but its cool to have it.

I downloaded a trees macros, thats it very interesting, I recomend it for 3d walktroughs.