Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13852 by kscottr181
Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:28 am
Greetings DataCad Users,

I am planning to get a copy of datacad (full or LT) for my home use to allow me to take work home.
I recently bought a new HP computer which does not have a parallel port on the back for a hard lock. My question is how would I run datacad with out a hardlock? can this be done? would I have to get a card for my computer at home?
#13855 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:36 am
You can get a USB hardlock for the full version of Datacad. I don't think LT has a hardlock. Someone will have to confirm that though. If your not using 11, I'm not sure if you can still get licences for old versions.
#13857 by kscottr181
Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 pm
USB, that make sense I'll have to do that. This would be for ver. 11. Does DC-12 plan to have a hardlock?

Thanks for your help!
Scott
#13859 by Greg Blandin
Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:10 pm
The purpose of hardlocks are for security reasons.

Before things like hardlocks came along, anyone could buy a program and give it to everyone they knew and they could all use the program to it's fullest.

Not a good way for a company to make money really. Along came the hardlock. Now to have a program work, it needs to see the hardlock.
#13862 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:43 pm
There has been talk of v.12 using a serial number option instead of the hardlock, but I have not heard of anything in stone yet. Just sounds like opening the door to piracy. Datacad needs all the funds they can get to keep things moving forward. I'd hate to see Datacad loose money because of a cracked program. The USB hardlocks are so small and strong I keep mine on my keychain to go from home to work. I just have a little hub on each desk to plug into. Lots of people have USB ports on the front of their computers which is just as easy, or just get a small USB extension for about 5 bucks that runs up to your desk for those with USB ports only in the back of their system that are hard to reach.
#13863 by Greg Blandin
Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:09 pm
joshhuggins wrote:There has been talk of v.12 using a serial number option instead of the hardlock, but I have not heard of anything in stone yet. Just sounds like opening the door to piracy.

AGREED!