Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13916 by Heinrich
Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 am
I need to bring a few UL fire rated wall assemblies from the UL website (html) into DCAD. The most obvious thing to do is copy/paste the page into DCAD, but it doesn’t work that way. The text comes in really screwed up and I end up having to spend quite a bit of time rearranging and “re-bolding” some of the text. I’ve tried pasting it into word first, then into DCAD, but this made no difference whatsoever.
The other assemblies I need to use are in pdf format and when I copy/paste the text, it’s broken up into segments within each line.
Is there a better/faster way of copy/pasting massive amounts of text into DCAD without having to spend copious amounts of time readjusting the format?
I almost feel I could have 4 fingered my way though this faster.
TIA.

-Redd
#13921 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:30 am
I just tried a UL listing PDF for a fireplace and the problem seems to be in their PDF's formatting. I can't get it to come in clean even in word using the paste special option. You're probably going to have to either clean up the text in Datacad or Word, or use the image select tool and bring it into Datacad as an image to keep the format and layout as the PDF has. Other PDF's I have created in Word copy and paste fine into Datacad.
#13957 by Jcanter
Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:20 pm
1. copy the html from the web page
2. paste into word
3. select and copy text from word
4. DATACAD PASTE SPECIAL as Word METAFILE

All formatting (including color in most cases) is retained.

Just did it 5 minutes ago. Hope this helps.
#13962 by Heinrich
Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:46 am
Jcanter wrote:1. copy the html from the web page
2. paste into word

I just tried this, but the formatting is still jacked up and it only pasted the first page of the text.
Oh well, Thanks anyways.

-Redd
#14011 by Jcanter
Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:26 pm
Heinrich wrote:
Jcanter wrote:1. copy the html from the web page
2. paste into word

I just tried this, but the formatting is still jacked up and it only pasted the first page of the text.
Oh well, Thanks anyways.

-Redd

I just tried it again with success.. how 'bout giving me the link you are trying to copy/paste...I'll see if my method works in your case.
#14023 by Heinrich
Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:29 am
Here's the link.
Here's a screenshot.
Notice there are 2½ pages missing when pasted into DCAD and notice the format as well.
It's all bold and, you can't tell from the screen shot, the individual line themselves are divided into segments, often splitting words between segments.
See what you can do with the link J.
And thanks again for the help.

-Redd
#14059 by Jcanter
Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:05 pm
Heinrich wrote:Here's the link.
Here's a screenshot.
Notice there are 2½ pages missing when pasted into DCAD and notice the format as well.
It's all bold and, you can't tell from the screen shot, the individual line themselves are divided into segments, often splitting words between segments.

And thanks again for the help.

-Redd

The only way I could get this particular web page to copy properly was to print it to a pdf file, then copy it page by page into the drawing as a bitmap. Something with the webpage code, I guess.

As far as the text being bold, of course you can change the font characeristic from datacad "change--text--font"

"Easy" isnt going to apply in this case, lol. Sorry.