Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13936 by Raider
Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:07 pm
Hi Guys,

DataCad keeps shutting down saying I need to install the hardlock. I remove it from one USB port to another and restart DCAD and it will run fine for a few minutes and shut down again. Any info and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Can a hardlock key go bad? I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the latest version, checked the USB ports and they are functioning properly.

Thanks
#13938 by Nick Pyner
Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:30 pm
I reckon if the hardlock, being a solid state hardware device, dies, it stays dead. Your USB ports are software operated, they are not above being a bit flakey, and the more you have the more likely this is to happen.

Restoring your operating system is a zero dollar option that may fix things.
#13939 by joshhuggins
Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 pm
I have found when running other high bandwidth USB devices will cause the hardlocks to stop working. Usually you can just unplug and re-plugin the hardlock, click o.k. without leaving Datacad and keep on working. Every once in a while when I update my Blackberry via USB, I have to restart Datacad. Hope this helps.
#13951 by Raider
Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:13 pm
Well I reinstalled the OS and still had the same problem but I did finally get it solved by using a USB PCI card. I guess my USB ports shorted out somehow. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Thanks

Edit: Disregard, Still locking up. Nuts.
#13956 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:22 pm
Hello,

Do you have another computer to try the hardlock with, and/or another hardlock to try on this machine? Have you installed the latest hardlock driver (downloaded from the DataCAD site)? Is the hardlock damaged -- I bent one of mine and I had to glue it back straight again. Maybe just check the contacts in the HL for dirt/crud?