Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#13989 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:40 pm
There was a problem a while back about a symbol browser that wouldn't appear on screen when requested. The solution was to go into an ini file and put a couple of start-up gridpoints that are on-screen, not in cyberspace.

My problem is similar, maybe the solution is similar; I just don't know where to look. When I call the symbol browser, it shows up as expected. When I click on the file icon to go to another location in the tree, the file browser never shows up. The window head changes color, as if it has become inactive and another is now active. When I use any keystroke or mouse command, there is only a DataCAD beep to indicate that the expected input was not received. The only way to get out of this mode is the "Escape" key, which leaves me in the symbol browser, but it has not changed files becuase I have not been able to pick another file.

I often use a secondary monitor or projector, but the unseen file browser is not trying to appear on a secondary screen. I'm onsite, so 500 miles from DataCAD disks. Is there a way to correct the problem w/o reloading original files? I'm on the latest v11.08.00, Pentium 4, Dell laptop, 60 GB harddrive, 2 GB RAM. Any ideas?
#13990 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:13 am
Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, and on the Applications tab, right click on Datacad and try bring to front.
#13992 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:37 am
Hello Dwight,

It is the DcadwinDialogs.GUI file in the Support Files folder: look for the [Browse Folder] section and erase all the values in that section.

With a multiple monitor set up, you must only resize the SB browse dialog on the "Primary Monitor" -- otherwise this keeps happening. :(
#14081 by deliriousga
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:05 pm
One thing I recently found with the symbol browser concerning this. I have a laptop that plugs into a second monitor at the office, but at home I use the laptop screen. Sometimes the symbol browser will not come up when I have just the laptop screen. Even when I go into the dcadwindialogs.gui file and fix it, it still doesn't show up.

After freaking out awhile, I noticed a tiny sliver of something along the left side of my screen (1-2 pixels wide). Grab the sliver and the symbol browser stretched out from there. After that it was all good and I know what to do when it happens again. :D
#14086 by Greg Blandin
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Don't ask me how I know...

Huh....Interesting.
#14097 by jlmcougar
Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:38 pm
What someone said about the primary monitor haveing to have the sybm browser on it is false. I have 2 monitors on the browser pops up on the secondary one.
#14098 by Greg Blandin
Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:39 pm
remove the second monitor...

no...I know what you are saying as I recall the discussion.