Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14013 by AT2
Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:13 pm
Town house - showing only all the interior wall and unit layout

Base building shell - showing only the building shell

A drawing - showing the town house and base building shell together.

They are all on 0,0 no z - height

Last week - 1. I xref the town house into the base building shell, then 2. I xref the base building shell into the A drawing. 3. As a result I see the town house and building shell together at the A drawing.

Today - When I open up my A drawing, all I see is my base building shell, the town house drawing is not there anymore. (my question is where did it go wrong and why?)

thanks

AT :?:
#14014 by AT2
Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:42 pm
Okay here is what I find out.

1. I can xref the townhouse plan into the building shell plan. That make the townhouse plan show up at the building shell plan.

2. I can then xref the building shell plan into my "A" drawing, which will show the townhouse plan and the building shell plan.

3. I can not xref the building shell plan into the townhouse plan, while I have xref the townhouse plan into my building shell plan. Because when I try to xref the building shell plan to my "A" drawing, it wouldn't know what to do.

4. Once you xref any drawing into another base drawing, you can only change all color all at once.

5. But you can't just pick a layer and change the color on that layer, if I wanted to change color, it has to be the whole drawing.

6. I know is crazy to do all this xref at this point. But I have a 6 stores building, which a lot of unitl is the same, so I want to be able go in and change it once and they all will be change.

Then I want to pick on color at xref, casue I have a overall drawing on 3/32" scale, that all my unitl will be very light on the background.

When I go to my 1/4" plan for my unitl plan, I want my line weight to be back to normal again, which I am not able to do, cause all my line wight is set at light from the 3/32" scale. Which I hope there is a way to fix that.

7. Here is my question, is there a way that I can have some line weight and a light line weight from the same xref?

thanks

AT
#14015 by Greg Blandin
Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:54 pm
No...

OH and for the first post you said about the disappearing xref, you might want to check if you allow nested xref's.

Also you can xref your base into your shell and then your shell into your base or what not, and all that happens is you get a circular xref. Extra warnings come up, but that "should" be all. Though it can cause confusion.

On your drawing "a" plan I would insert multiple xrefs of the shell plan (that has the base plan xref into it) and put each xref on it's own layer. Set up Goto Views to get from level to level easier.
#14025 by AT2
Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:46 am
I have done the circular xref (base to shell) or (shell to base). If you do that, you can't xref that plan our to any other drawing. It wouldn't work. The only way to do it is leave the (base just the base), then have a (shell and with all the bases), then xref that out to my main (A drawing). That just solve problem #1 for the 1/4" plan.

Problem #2. for the 3/32" scale, I have to xref the (shell into my A drawing), then turn off all the base drawing inside my shell drawing. Then I need to put it on another layer and xref all my base drawing in there once again and to them to a light color.

Everything work at the end. But isn't there an easy to do this, and cut out problem #2? It also is a pain every time when I want to work on the base plan to attach the shell plan, and then when I am done I have remember to de-attach the shell plan, if not, my A drawing will have nothing to show for.

AT :roll:

PS: what is a nested xref that you talk about?
#14027 by Greg Blandin
Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:57 am
Nested xref...

Xref A into B

Xref B into C

While in C, A is considered nested in xref B. You can see nested xref's but not manipulate them.

When you go into your reference manager, check the lower right corner. There is a section that asks if you want to allow nesting of xref's. I believe there is also an option in the preference dialog box.
#14035 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:41 am
But if for some reason, such as maybe an enlarged partial plan that you want on the same sheet, you can't...

Xref B back into A

...or "A" will disappear (unless this glitch has been recently fixed).

---

Could this be what is happening with your disappearing plan?
#14043 by AT2
Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:57 am
You are right, you can only do this as far as I know.

Xref A into B, then xref B into C. As a result, you will see A&B in C.

You can't not

Xref A into B, also have xref B into A.

Then xref either B into C. There will be only B show up when open C then you will not see A.

Some as xref A into C, when open up C, you will only see A but no B.

Something should be fix there, also I really like to turn xref color on each layer, not all at once.

thanks

AT