Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1083 by AT2
Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:07 am
Okay.. here are few things I am not sure if I do it right or I missing something here...

Q1 - When I hit move or copy... sometime I pick something that I don't want.... is there a way that I can un-select the thing that I pick it wrong or do I have to pick everything all over again....?

Q2 - When there is 2 line or muilt line on top of each other, how can I pick the line that I wanted....?

Q3 - Is there a way that I can purge a drawing...?

Q4 - Is there a way I can just use my mouse to pick a line or curve...etc...?

Thanks

AT:D

#1088 by joshhuggins
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:31 am
Q1 - Unfortanetly with those commands, no there is not a way to remove just a few items. This should be on the wish list and should be one of those added long ago.

Q2 - You can use the mask tool to set properties that only match the entity you are trying to edit. If the entities are on different layers, you can set the current active layer to match the layer that the entity you want to pick and then turn off layer search.

Q3 - Sure, go up to File,Purge... and check the items you want to move to another AEC,DWG or DXF file. If you are wanting a different type of purge, please specify your goals.

Q4 - When you say pick do you mean, snap to or just it identify it? To snap, your middle mouse button should snap to the entity's end, mid, and other points set in the Object Snap settings. You can use "I" for identify to view a lines properties.

If these are not what you are looking for please let us know, and we'll see what we can do to point you in the right direction.

#1089 by AT2
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:59 am
Q1 - lol.. I guess I am not stupid then...

Q2, Q3 & Q4 - The reason I want to slect a line is sometime I open some drawing... they are the some line "1-walls" and they draw it a few times for no reason. I either want to purge it out or pick it on, so I can remove it. I think a lot of time is coming from a 3d drawing.

I like the "I" of mother of all... I use it all the time.

new Q5 - how am I go to drawing ceiling grid...? Is there a commond for that...?

thanks

AT :D
#1090 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:59 am
Hello Alan,

AT2 wrote:Q1 - When I hit move or copy... sometime I pick something that I don't want.... is there a way that I can un-select the thing that I pick it wrong or do I have to pick everything all over again....?

Okay, there are a bunch of possibilities here, though I'm not sure exactly what you mean: are you entering the distance to Move/Copy first, and then picking each entity? Or, are you using the Drag function (that is in both Move and Copy), or are you using the Multiple option? Are you using just Entity, or Group, or Area (w/ or w/o Crossing), or Fence (w/ or w/o Crossing) -- and Mask is cool, and are you using Layer Search?

AT2 wrote:Q2 - When there is 2 line or muilt line on top of each other, how can I pick the line that I wanted....?

Are they all on the same layer? If not, then you can turn off Layer Search. Are they different colors, or different linetypes? If so, you can use Mask. Are they all the same length? If not, then you can use Area.

BTW, what editing function are you trying to do to this superimposed line? Do you need to have these lines on top of each other? Could you weld them into one line?

AT2 wrote:Q3 - Is there a way that I can purge a drawing...?

In v11, you do not need to do this manually -- the drawing gets purged automatically when you open and close it. Are you using an earlier version of DataCAD?

AT2 wrote:Q4 - Is there a way I can just use my mouse to pick a line or curve...etc...?

Can you clarify this a little: what do you mean by "just use my mouse"? Do you not want to use a key? And "pick a line or a curve"? Do you mean draw a line or a curve, or select one?

An underlying difference between DataCAD and AutoCAD is (as I understand it): in DataCAD you select the toolyou want to use before you select the entities that you want to use it on; whereas in AutoCAD you select the entities before you select the tool that you want touse on them. Does that help clarify things? Because, when I read between the lines of your questions, it seems that this difference in approach might be important to keep in mind.

#1147 by AT2
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:51 am
Hey joshhuggins - thanks for your answer.. it helps.

Neil Blanchard - sorry my english isn't very good... I think joshhuggins answer most of my questions. thanks

here is a new one -

When I select to move something, I can pick "entity" "group" "area"...etc.

"The thing I move isn't group or the same layer"

once I move it and I found out that isn't the location that I want it. But I don't want to re-selected everything again to move again, is that I way I can just hit 1 thing and re-selected everything that I pick before?

thanks

AT

#1149 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:18 am
Hello Alan:

AT2 wrote:here is a new one -

When I select to move something, I can pick "entity" "group" "area"...etc.

"The thing I move isn't group or the same layer"

once I move it and I found out that isn't the location that I want it. But I don't want to re-selected everything again to move again, is that I way I can just hit 1 thing and re-selected everything that I pick before?

If you just want to move the entities back to where the started, you can hit Control-Z to Undo it. If you want to then move the entities to the location that you meant to, you can link them into a Group:

Alt-K (at least on my computer) takes you there. It is on the Edit menu at the F8 position. Once you do this, all you have to do is use Group -- though be aware that if you use this one entities that are on different layers, they all get moved to the active layer.

Another option is to use Selection Sets -- these won't put everything on one layer, but it takes a little more effort.

Have you tried Area or Fence with Layer Search on, and with Crossing turned on? This option apears at the F1 position after you have picked the first point of the Area or Fence.

#1150 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:25 am
If you mean you want to move everything back to it's original location you can just Ctrl+Z to undo it. If you want to move everything you just moved again another distance and don't want to group them, you could add them to a "Selection Set". I usually don't use selection sets and just move things individually or in a group. See the Sel.Set button in the Edit menu, and read up on how to usethem in the manual on page 346 or page 538 using Adobe Reader. Oh those page numbers. Sorry not much help on this one.

#1167 by AT2
Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:11 pm
Do you mean the edit menu on the top? Between File and view? I don't see "Selection Set" anyway. I wish it had a button call "move previous" or "copy previous" What do you guy think?

thanks

AT

#1168 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:38 pm
Hello Alan:

The Sel. Sets (Selection Sets) button is on the DataCAD Edit menu at the S2 position. Once you add the entites to the Sel Set of your choice, you then need to make that set active.

Depending on what the entites are, you might also be able to use the Mask function -- if they are all the same linetype or the same color, etc.

Are all the entities on the same layer? If so, turning off Layer Search and/or using the Group (DataCAD Edit menu at the F8 position) will help a lot.

We already have Previous Distance button, so I'm not sure if having a Previous Move, as you suggest, would be understandable. Also, I'm still not clear on what you are doing, and why you are needing to move the same entities different distances on multiple occasions?

A friendly hint: when you enter the distance to Copy/Move -- before you select anything to copy/move, confirm the distance/direction on the message line at the bottom of the screen.

How are you entering the distance, when you are then getting these "unpredicted" copies/moves? Are you snapping both points, or snapping the first point and then entering the distance on the keyboard, or are you using a Reference Point? Do you know about the Shift-Center Snap "Get X/Y..." menu?

#1172 by AT2
Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 am
okay.. here is what I done... I had a bathroom layout at the front of the office, then I try to copy it and move to the back of the warehouse. After when I move there, it snap to a wrong point, so that is why I want to move again. Inside my bathroom layout, there are different layer, color for plumbing, text, wall and door.

I am not try to pick on the sofware and I don't want to make you upset, I just want to able to draft the way that I want, and find out if something I am missing. I think there is a lot of steps I need to remember if I want to do something, such as layer search on / F8 and shift....etc... I just looking for something quicker I guess... sorry if I step on your shoes or something.

thanks

AT

#1173 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:23 am
Good morning Alan,

Okay, now we're getting someplace! :) You can use Copy and Paste for this much more easily. This is copying to the Windows clipboard, by the way.

:arrow: Hit Control-E

:arrow: Toggle on Insertion Point (so that it is green)

:arrow: Select the entities, using EGAFM (Entity, Group, Area, Fence, Mask)

:arrow: Click on Copy, and Snap the insertion point

:arrow: Move to the back of the plan, and verify that you have a corresponding point where you want to insert it

:arrow: Hit Control-V (standard Windows Paste shortcut)

:arrow: Toggle off "By Center" and toggle on "Original Layers"

:arrow: You should see the extents box "on" the cursor -- snap to the insertion point, and -- there you go! :!:

If you get it wrong, hit Control-Z, and correct the insertion point (or whatever setting you got wrong) and hit Control-V again. The entities stay on the Windows clipboard until you copy/cut something else. You can also past onto the Active Layer only, which puts all the entities on the active layer. "Original Layers" puts all the entites onto their separate original layers.

I hope this gets you what you want!? :wink:

Also Alan, if both bathrooms are exactly the same, then you can save yourself a lot of drafting by making the bathroom plan into a symbol and place it in both locations as an unexploded symbol. You can rotate it, and you can mirror it. If you need to change it, you place a third symbol in temporarily, explode it, redefine it -- and both the plans will then be udated. You only had to make the change once! :o

#1174 by AT2
Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:39 am
Good morning to you as well :D

okay.. I did it... but I did it w/ out the insertion Point to be green, which isn't a big deal at all, I just want to let you know.

now is back to the drawing borad and do a lot of copy again...lol..

thanks again

AT

#1176 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:25 am
You're welcome!

BTW, you can paste (from the Windows clipboard) by Absolute Zero or by the Center (which includes the middle of the Z height, too) even if you have selected an insertion point. You can also paste into a different drawing, and if you paste to Original Layers -- it will create the layers if they do not already exist.

Keep on asking your questions -- that's what this forum is for!

#1253 by AT2
Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:36 pm
I have a drawing on my screen and I want to post it up and show my question.. how am I go to do that...?

thanks

AT

#1260 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:27 pm
Hello Alan:

AT2 wrote:I have a drawing on my screen and I want to post it up and show my question.. how am I go to do that...?

You have to have a host for the image -- and there are (at least) two places that will do this:

http://imageshack.us/ 1024KB per image limit, and no limit to the number of images (AFAICT) There is probably a bandwidth limit...

http://photobucket.com/ 25MB limit and 250KB per image limits. They also have bandwidth limits.

To post them, you can either use the codes that the sites provide, or you do the same thing by using the Img buttons above your editing window. You can (and should) link a larger image to a smaller version, or just a URL link.