Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14400 by Bob
Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:34 pm
I have a bmp file that I am drawing over. The problem is I can't remember how to keep it behind my new lines in the display. I have played with layer order and z hieghts but each time I refresh the bmp covers up my work. My new lines and bmp are on different layers. How do I keep the bmp in the background?
#14401 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:47 pm
Hello Bob,

The layer order in the Display menu is the key thing (Last), and sometimes it helps to just put the bitmap layer at the top of the list in the Layer Manager. You're drawing the lines on another layer from the bitmap's layer, right?
#14404 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:44 am
Bob wrote:...My new lines and bmp are on different layers. How do I keep the bmp in the background?

Hello Bob,

The point is the 'refresh order' for the layers. When you call for refreshing the display list, (or load the file) the active layer is always the first to be refreshed, and, at follow, it behaves in the same order that layers are in the drawing file.
Some old reminds to me say that there were in some moment in DC a way to 'invert' this refreshing order, to set that the active would be the last. I couldn't find any sign of this, btw.

If you want a quick 'workaround' now, just click on Tab before refreshing Disp List, (press 'u') clicking Shift+Tab at follow. Not the solution, but it can help you.

A simple refresh don't behave this way. So while you're on a session work this is not affected by this rule.

Hope it helps.
Miguel
#14407 by Dick Eades
Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:35 am
I do this all the time. The trick, like others have said is in the display order of the layers. I set mine to "In Order"

I use this command alias:

[loi]
comment=layer order in order
alias=^:^s2^s6^f3^u^

Then you put your bitmap at the top of the list and it will be drawn first with everything else following.

Another trick for drawing over a bitmap when you have difficulty seeing the new lines is to set your lineweight up to 2 or 3. You can change it later when you're through with the bitmap.
#14438 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:53 am
Dick Eades wrote:...the display order of the layers. I set mine to "In Order"

Bingo!

Thanks Dick. You've refreshed 'my' mind.
Miguel
#19794 by peter korzaan
Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:21 am
Dick Eades wrote:I do this all the time. The trick, like others have said is in the display order of the layers. I set mine to "In Order"

I use this command alias:

[loi]
comment=layer order in order
alias=^:^s2^s6^f3^u^

Then you put your bitmap at the top of the list and it will be drawn first with everything else following.

Another trick for drawing over a bitmap when you have difficulty seeing the new lines is to set your lineweight up to 2 or 3. You can change it later when you're through with the bitmap.

I'm having the same problem, but doing as said 'In Order' and placing it near the beginning of the layer order does not do the trick... what am I missing?
thanks for any enlightenment p.
#19795 by Dick Eades
Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:48 am
I'm having the same problem, but doing as said 'In Order' and placing it near the beginning of the layer order does not do the trick... what am I missing?

Just for the sake of simplicity, are you hitting U to update the display list?
#19797 by peter korzaan
Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:05 am
yes, it blinks and then remains on top.

Now the .jpg image is the on layer 7, but the first one on, in fact set as active. It came in as a polyline.

Oh for heaven sakes... da.. checking and reviewing as I typed this message, I found some how that the layer order was back at Last... it works now.

Thanks for the clarification of my morning mentality ... ;-) p.
#19815 by jlmcougar
Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:55 pm
Make the bitmap the 1st layer and your problems will be over. Also make the polyline around the bitmap "White".
#19816 by jlmcougar
Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:56 pm
make the bitmap the first layer and make the polyline around it white. That should fix the problem.
#19817 by jlmcougar
Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:57 pm
make the bitmap the first layer and make the polyline around it white. That should fix the problem.
#20002 by Bob
Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:02 am
One quick tool I found to set the BMP back is under move. I simply pick move then behind and select the bmp. I am not sure why but even though I have the bmp ahead in my layers list it won’t always fall behind with refresh.
#20003 by Bob
Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:09 am
There you go I just found in order was turned off in my lyr display settings.