Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14410 by jlmcougar
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:24 am
The (alt-I) is not true. It does not set all. The line color is not set. I hear that this is corrected in version 12. Anyone heard anymore? I use (alt-I) all the time. It is a real time saver.
#14411 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:35 am
Hi Jamie,

The Alt-I that I use certainly does change the active color!

Code: Select allI^·^È^;^S1^$^S8^S0¸^É

It sets hatch pattern, scale, angle, text size, dim settings, linetype, color, active layer, weight, spacing -- everything!
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14412 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:35 am
That's not a bad idea. If in the layer manager we could lock a layers linetype (color, spacing etc.) And only apply it to the layers where we would want that. We have several layers that could benefit from this in our base drawings.
#14413 by jlmcougar
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:40 am
OK your right. There is a spot that setting or changeing all is not (all). I will find it and let you know.
#14416 by Greg Blandin
Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:01 pm
You have to change your alt+I in the dcadwin.mcr file (I believe it's that file) to read what Neil put down. You can actually set it to exactly how you want it read.

Locking linetype to layer is not a bad idea. Just don't make it so that it's automatic.
#14421 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:49 pm
Hi Greg,

I'm not against the idea, but I'm not sure when or how it would be useful. Because certainly we don't want to have only one color possible on each layer (like ACAD used to have)? So, only if it was an option...
#14422 by Greg Blandin
Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:57 pm
I happen to agree with you Neil...that is why you put it in the layer manager as something you can turn on and off.
#14423 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:57 pm
Definitely only as an option. For an example for Neil, our footing layers should only have brown lines, dashed with a 6" spacing. No ifs and or buts. We have several layers scattered thou our drawings that have similar rules. So it would be handy a little bit, but might me more work for Datacad than it's worth, but you never know what Dave's got up he sleeve.
#14425 by Greg Blandin
Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:01 pm
Let me expand on the concept.

Let's say you have a layer for setbacks on a site plan you are doing.

Typically I see this layer with a dashed line. You turn on the linetype lock and anytime you go to that layer it will automatically give you a dashed line.

Something everyone needs to keep in mind is that not everyone uses the Alt+I feature, or has it set up to "set all/most/whatever". I didn't really learn the full convienence to it until 2 weeks ago. I put out a tip to the rest of my collegues about how to do it, but I'm sure they still arn't using the option. I'm sure this is true for many people. So give the option for something they might be more used to.
#14426 by Tony Blasio
Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:13 pm
I would think this would be a highly useful feature and it would really help with setting office standards. It would get my vote only as long as it is a feature we can turn off & on.

I think it should also include Z-heights, color & spacing as well as linetype.
#14431 by deliriousga
Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:06 pm
joshhuggins wrote:That's not a bad idea. If in the layer manager we could lock a layers linetype (color, spacing etc.) And only apply it to the layers where we would want that. We have several layers that could benefit from this in our base drawings.
That's why I'd like to do this. Since we always use different line types/colors for electrical, dimensions, brick, etc. it would be nice to have it switch with the layer. It could work much like the Z-height changes Tony & Neil mentioned.
#14439 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:07 am
deliriousga wrote:...That's why I'd like to do this. Since we always use different line types/colors for electrical, dimensions, brick, etc. it would be nice to have it switch with the layer.

Hello John,

Being an option it will be interesting. You got my vote as well.

Thanks,
Miguel