Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14483 by RSYount
Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:07 pm
Does anyone know of an easy and efficient way to count the doors and windows in a drawing? We have come to a point that we need to be able to generate a report(s) that would include the doors and window sizes as well as the quantity of each. I have been toying around with the door and window labeler macros, located in the toolbox, but have run into a couple of issues. 1. Did these macros come standard with DataCAD or were they something I purchased as an add on and just forgot about? 2. Can the color of the “tags” be changed? When I insert one in the drawing they are always white. Also, when the “tag” is inserted in the drawing, it comes in as a symbol and I can’t “explode” it. I like the report that is generated when using this macro, but would like to be able to manipulate the color of the tag and font, and the tag size.
I also toyed around with creating a “tag” using the room labels macro located in the DCAD_AEC toolbox. I liked this option because the “tag” could be easily manipulated and then saved as a symbol. The only problem I had then was generating a report with the information I wanted. I’m not quite sure how to edit the “Fields” of the symbol or edit the Report Forms so that the two still communicate correctly. Any information on modifying these reports and fields would be helpful. I’m open to suggestions if you know of any easier way to generating a door and window report.

Thanks in advance for your help.
#14487 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 am
Greetings Scott,

If you use symbols, you can generate a symbol report. If the model #, size, etc., is in the symbols fields, then these get inserted in the report. Unfortunately, I don't think that you can use text attributes in those symbols -- but if you have a different symbol of each window/door type, then the totals for each type can be reported, too.
#14489 by Philip Hart
Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:13 am
To elaborate on what Neil says: you can draw the doors and windows "normally" and use symbols, with attribute fields for the door and window keys. You can then use "Extract Attributes" from the symbol browser Options menu. I have had good luck in extracting the attribute information and then exporting it to exel to generate a schedule.
#14490 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:42 am
RSYount wrote:...I have been toying around with the door and window labeler macros, located in the toolbox, but have run into a couple of issues...
...The only problem I had then was generating a report with the information I wanted.

Hello Scott,

You've just kicked off on a subject that is walking around us for a while, since DataCAD 12's new abilities were announced. The extraction of attributes from the smart objects. All the informations that worth on the windows and doors are there, fresh and ready to be picked up.
I am one of those who believe in a brighter future of DataCAD with the improvement on data exchange among the drawing and an external utility, for handling and post-processing the project informations.
I can't say if it will happen right now, or later, but this is a target to be looked for.

Thanks,
Miguel