Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14498 by bchrd
Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:31 pm
I have autosave set for every 10 minutes both on DataCad11 and 11 Lt. I can find no files anywhere besides the .aec and the .dbk for my project files. I seem to remember in the past (dc5) that other file types showed up in case you needed to recover something...which I do.

I got the file compression error of 106 this weekend and the file will not open, .dbk will not open and techsupport cannont recover anything.

Shouldn't there be another file for recovery some place that automatically happens just for these situations.

I may have lost a few days worth of work this time but sure don't want it to happen again because something isn't working right or set right in the program or ???

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Bchrd
#14499 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 pm
You sometimes used to be able to open swp files in pre v.11. But in 11, it's not a good idea. You can enable session files in the program prefs that will keep the previous hard saved versions (when closing the file). Force saving often is your best bet here, along with a backup that runs multiple times a day just in case. I'm surprised tech support can't recover it. Was there a lot of Autocad information imported into the file at any time?
#14500 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:10 pm
Hello,

Did you crash out of the file, or did you close it without saving it? If it is the former, then there is another file created in a Recover_Archive folder, but if you closed and didn't save it, and it now is corrupted, then there won't be any other files.

What was formerly called Auto Save is now called Auto Recovery -- their purpose is still the same, and the name is now different to try to avoid the confusion about them -- the periodic auto recovery save is not the same as a forced save.

I use Control-S to save often -- as often as I think of it; sometimes I do it twice in a row, so the DBK is also up to date. However, if you had a corruption, then the only way to fix it is to Purge it (either by opening and then closing the file, or by doing a manual Purge) and obviously you have to be able to open the file to be able to do that.

Did the machine have a crash, or do you have any indication what might have caused the corruption? Do you have Sessions Files turned on? If not, then you should turn them on, and I set it to at least 3 sessions -- you can have up to 10 previous sessions files saved.
#14505 by bchrd
Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 am
Josh and Neil

Thx for your replies. It didn't crash; I am usually good about file>save thruout my work session. The only thing I can think of his since I was working off a portable hard drive plugged into the USB port that maybe it wasn't quite finished receiving the information after I did exit and Save before I pulled the plug but it usually doesn't take very long to update the file but it is a possibility. I am puzzled why the dbk file shows the same error, what's the point of a backup then?
I never had sessions ON, not sure if DataCad Lt has that feature.
Very frustrating situation, I've always been able to recover after this sort of thing with past versions of DataCad - the backup file always worked.
#14509 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:41 pm
Hello,

Well, DataCAD 11 actually has more backup files that previous versions, but most of the additional files are for when you crash out of a file. The DBK is the previous AEC file, and I think that when you exit and save, the the previous save gets bumped to the DBK and then it saves the Swap to the AEC -- so if you rushed the USB disconnect, it might be possible to corrupt both files... :(

I would definitely look in the Tools/Program Preferences/Misc for the Sessions Files option.
#14513 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:31 pm
I have seen this on my old USB hard drive (non-flash). Windows usually ends up with a notification about a delayed write error. Only happened twice. I'd leave the drive plugged in for at least 20 secs or so. There is a way to disable the delayed write. Google for it, it might help ya out.