Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14569 by Mark F. Madura
Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:46 pm
Dear DataCAD 11 BETA Forum Members:

The DataCAD 11 BETA Forum has been retired to make way for the new DataCAD 12 BETA Forum. We will begin sending out BETA 01 packets next week which include an installation CD-ROM and a new hardware key.

If you are interested in being considered for BETA testing, please contact Clay Rogers via e-mail at clay@datacad.com.

We're as anxious as you are to begin this next phase of DataCAD 12's development and look forward to your participation.

Thank You,

MFM
#14571 by Martell
Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:48 am
Hello Mark,

Thank you for the good news.
Some questions:
- will the old beta testers become automaticly 12 beta? Or must they also send a E-mail?
- will the package also send to europe?

Martell
#14587 by MtnArch
Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:34 pm
Mark -

Thanks for the update - we're all looking forward to putting V12 through the ringer!
#14601 by Bob Urbanek
Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:56 pm
I don't get it.We get the news that mostly everyone has been waiting for,but there has been almost no reaction on the Forum??????????
Anyhow(way)(whatever) I would like to ask a serious question---Approximately how long does beta testing last?I really have no idea.Hope it's not too long.

Bob Urbanek
#14602 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:15 pm
Hello Bob,

There is no specific time limit to beta testing -- it keeps going until as many bugs are squashed as possible; and until it passes muster, so to speak. It has to work, and it should be debugged, too.
#14603 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:50 pm
So first one to get their package better sound off in the "beta" mail channel if the fourm is not up. I'm sure it will be you East coast dboogers to get it first :P
#14604 by jimgoodman
Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:16 pm
[quote="Bob Urbanek"]I don't get it.We get the news that mostly everyone has been waiting for,but there has been almost no reaction on the Forum??????????

I for one am very excited and I suspect the rest of the veteran beta test crew is as well. Perhaps the lack of reaction is caused by everyone clearing their workloads in anticipation.
#14606 by MtnArch
Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:46 am
Maybe the DC LLC crew should ship the Beta packets "last first" - so that we "left coasters" get our packages the same day (or sooner!) than the "east coasters"? :D

:wink:

Lookin' forward to testing the new version!
#14614 by deliriousga
Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:42 pm
Sent my e-mail to try and get into beta testing. I'd love to see how it works with my Vista laptop. :D

Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello Bob,

There is no specific time limit to beta testing -- it keeps going until as many bugs are squashed as possible; and until it passes muster, so to speak. It has to work, and it should be debugged, too.
One of the things that sets the DataCAD team apart from others. They actually want to put out a good product with as few bugs as possible rather than rush it to market, let the bombs fly and fix it later for the quick buck. Thanks guys!
#14636 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:08 am
Hello,

I've got my WinXP Pro/x64 Edition dual boot machine all set to try v12 in both the 32bit and the 64bit versions of Windows!

Are the kits coming via USPS, UPS, FedEx, or some other carrier?

Here's what Evan Shu wrote for the November Cheap Tricks Newsletter:

DATACAD is putting the finishing touches on its first BETA release, which should be going out in CD form to its list of BETA testers this coming week. To give you an idea of its scope, whereas DataCAD 11 could be conveyed in 50 megabytes of compressed files, DataCAD 12 will take up instead some 200 megabytes. Besides the beefed up DataCAD 12 core engine, that extra space is filled with a host of new symbol, bitmap, and texture libraries.

Those of you who weren't lucky enough to be able to attend the DataCAD Boston Users Group (DBUG) meetings to see the various previews of DataCAD 12 can now see some of the new DataCAD 12 features at the following link on the DataCAD forum: http://forum.datacad.com/viewtopic.php?t=3692.

There you can see live video clips from DBUG's September 27th meeting of the following DataCAD 12 features: (Smart) Wall Type Dialog; Clean, Cap, and Edit; (Smart) Wall Types; (Smart) Doors and Windows; Adding A Story; Ignore Clip Cube; 3D Booleans; and Multi-line Walls. The video is shot with a home camcorder so the picture quality is a little fuzzy and �keystoned� but Mark Madura's narration along with his answers to DBUGers questions are sharp and on point and will give you a great preview of how you will be able to use DataCAD 12's new features.

In addition to buttoning down this first BETA release with various fixes, DATACAD has also been busy adding a few new goodies. For those of you who like (or would like to learn) multi-view windows, you will be able to toggle on a dynamic update feature and also be able to swap the current view with the multi-view and vice versa. There will be a new �Search and Replace� function (Edit pulldown menu) that will allow you to do either a global or EGAF (Entity/Group/Area/Fence) replacement of materials, walls, doors, or windows.

They have also complemented the new Anderson Window library in DataCAD 12 with a symbol library of all standard Anderson Doors, along with a bevy of custom door knobs. Using DataCAD 12's parametric door function with the �Use Symbol� feature checked, you can select a particular Anderson Entry Door and using a similar �Use Symbol� check box for the Door Knob, you can also pick out a special lever door handle to go with it as well.

Other recently added features to DataCAD 12 include a new Status Toolbar and a new Types Toolbar for walls/windows/doors. Don't worry about cluttering up your screen; you will also have customized control (via the INI file) over which toolbars display or not. DataCAD 12 has also incorporated a nice AutoCAD feature that, by using the Area selection function, will select normally if you draw the box left to right (all entities must be totally within the box), but select via �crossing� if you draw the box from right to left (any entities the box outline crosses will also be selected). One major feature area that will probably not make the initial release of DataCAD 12 is for smart roofs.

You may wonder about compatibility issues with both DataCAD 11 and AutoCAD. Any smart entities (which are smart because they are integrated 2D/3D entities) will be dumbed down to split back into respective 2D and 3D companion layers when exported to either DataCAD 11 format or AutoCAD DWG format.

If you are interested in BETA testing DataCAD 12, DATACAD is still accepting new applicants, particularly if you are using DataCAD for some unusual purposes (high-end modeling, Boolean-inspired design, site surveying) or using some unusual networks or configurations like an iMac Core Duo, as one DataCAD user is already successfully using DataCAD on. They are obviously trying to make sure they have a diverse group of BETA testers. If you are interested in being considered for the BETA test group, contact Clay Rogers <clay@datacad.com> and give him your particulars.
#14639 by Greg Blandin
Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:55 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello,

I've got my WinXP Pro/x64 Edition dual boot machine all set to try v12 in both the 32bit and the 64bit versions of Windows!

Are the kits coming via USPS, UPS, FedEx, or some other carrier?

Here's what Evan Shu wrote for the November Cheap Tricks Newsletter:

DATACAD is putting the finishing touches on its first BETA release, which should be going out in CD form to its list of BETA testers this coming week. To give you an idea of its scope, whereas DataCAD 11 could be conveyed in 50 megabytes of compressed files, DataCAD 12 will take up instead some 200 megabytes. Besides the beefed up DataCAD 12 core engine, that extra space is filled with a host of new symbol, bitmap, and texture libraries.

Those of you who weren't lucky enough to be able to attend the DataCAD Boston Users Group (DBUG) meetings to see the various previews of DataCAD 12 can now see some of the new DataCAD 12 features at the following link on the DataCAD forum: http://forum.datacad.com/viewtopic.php?t=3692.

There you can see live video clips from DBUG's September 27th meeting of the following DataCAD 12 features: (Smart) Wall Type Dialog; Clean, Cap, and Edit; (Smart) Wall Types; (Smart) Doors and Windows; Adding A Story; Ignore Clip Cube; 3D Booleans; and Multi-line Walls. The video is shot with a home camcorder so the picture quality is a little fuzzy and �keystoned� but Mark Madura's narration along with his answers to DBUGers questions are sharp and on point and will give you a great preview of how you will be able to use DataCAD 12's new features.

In addition to buttoning down this first BETA release with various fixes, DATACAD has also been busy adding a few new goodies. For those of you who like (or would like to learn) multi-view windows, you will be able to toggle on a dynamic update feature and also be able to swap the current view with the multi-view and vice versa. There will be a new �Search and Replace� function (Edit pulldown menu) that will allow you to do either a global or EGAF (Entity/Group/Area/Fence) replacement of materials, walls, doors, or windows.

They have also complemented the new Anderson Window library in DataCAD 12 with a symbol library of all standard Anderson Doors, along with a bevy of custom door knobs. Using DataCAD 12's parametric door function with the �Use Symbol� feature checked, you can select a particular Anderson Entry Door and using a similar �Use Symbol� check box for the Door Knob, you can also pick out a special lever door handle to go with it as well.

Other recently added features to DataCAD 12 include a new Status Toolbar and a new Types Toolbar for walls/windows/doors. Don't worry about cluttering up your screen; you will also have customized control (via the INI file) over which toolbars display or not. DataCAD 12 has also incorporated a nice AutoCAD feature that, by using the Area selection function, will select normally if you draw the box left to right (all entities must be totally within the box), but select via �crossing� if you draw the box from right to left (any entities the box outline crosses will also be selected). One major feature area that will probably not make the initial release of DataCAD 12 is for smart roofs.

You may wonder about compatibility issues with both DataCAD 11 and AutoCAD. Any smart entities (which are smart because they are integrated 2D/3D entities) will be dumbed down to split back into respective 2D and 3D companion layers when exported to either DataCAD 11 format or AutoCAD DWG format.

If you are interested in BETA testing DataCAD 12, DATACAD is still accepting new applicants, particularly if you are using DataCAD for some unusual purposes (high-end modeling, Boolean-inspired design, site surveying) or using some unusual networks or configurations like an iMac Core Duo, as one DataCAD user is already successfully using DataCAD on. They are obviously trying to make sure they have a diverse group of BETA testers. If you are interested in being considered for the BETA test group, contact Clay Rogers <clay@datacad.com> and give him your particulars.

Big assumption that you are actually on their list of Beta Testers... :twisted: :D
#14641 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:29 am
deliriousga wrote:One of the things that sets the DataCAD team apart from others. They actually want to put out a good product with as few bugs as possible rather than rush it to market, let the bombs fly and fix it later for the quick buck. Thanks guys!

I know that I sure do appreciate this attitude toward releasing software!!! I don't mind waiting a bit longer for a nearly bug-free program.