Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#14868 by Dick Eades
Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 am
I have an ongoing problem with nested xref's in some files. In my elevation file, I xref the ground floor base plan which contains an xref of the site with selected layers on. If I xref the ground floor into the site creating a circular xref and turn off the ground floor there, then the site will not show up in the elevations. I have to open the site file and delete the ground floor reference in order to get it to show in the elevations. So I have to only use some of these references temporarily, which is a pain when I have to reinsert them and re-register them to check something.
#14871 by jlmcougar
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:50 pm
I have had this same problem. I insert an xref that has another xref in it. The original shows up the the xref within the xref does not.
#14875 by Tony Blasio
Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:23 pm
I have noticed this when using X-Clips. Are you clipping any of these XREF's?
#14880 by jlmcougar
Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:09 pm
Yes I am. What have you come accross pertaining this occurance?
#14881 by Tony Blasio
Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:36 pm
I don't know the particulars but I have had problems with nested xref's and x-clips. I don't know if it was solved with the "Ignore Z" setting or not. I have tried avoiding the issue more often than not lately.

Wish I could be more specific and helpful. You know how it is once you figure something doesn't work right and begin taking steps to avoid it, you can't always remember the particulars.

Anyone else experience this phenom recently and knows the story behind it??
#14908 by Toby Robb
Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:35 pm
The ignore z feature has not been entirely reliable on my system. If you have not already tried this, check the z height of the x-ref in the drawing in which it is originally referenced and set your clip cube settings manually to well above and below this in the drawing in which it is a nested and clipped x-ref.
#61158 by Wayne Jones
Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 am
Here is something crazy. I had the nested xref problem (nested xrefs not showing up), and copied the nested xref into the file, with the purpose of bypassing the nested xref problem. Now the original nested xrefs that weren't showing up, are now showing up. So, I just moved the newly copied xrefs to a trash layer so they will still remain in the file, and serve their purpose by somehow overwriting the nested xref problem.

Not an explanation, but sort of a solution nonetheless.