Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1194 by panz70
Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:17 am
Hi from Italy, thisi my firsth post and my english is very bad, sorry.
I have make a projet with Datacad 10.04 and i have converted in DXF.
Imported in Visual Reality and after the right operations i had my result.
Saved the projet and forgotten.
After 2 month i neede to make some corrections.
I opened my project but all the object wasn't there.
Materials, Views, Lights: ok. Objects: nothing.
I have re-imported all objects, i have ri-saved, closed the program.
Ri-opened my file and the object still to zero.
What is happened?
Can i restore my files? How?
thank you
#1202 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
panz70 wrote:Hi from Italy, this is my first post and my English is very bad, sorry.
I have make a project with DataCAD 10.04 and I have converted in DXF.
Imported in Visual Reality and after the right operations I had my result.
Saved the project and forgotten.

After 2 months I neede to make some corrections.
I opened my project but none of the objects are there.
Materials, Views, Lights: ok. Objects: nothing.
I have re-imported all objects, I have re-saved, closed the program.
Reopened my file and the object still to zero.
What is happened?
Can I restore my files? How?

I wonder if you have WinXP and have the hard drive formatted with NTFS? Is this the first project that you have used a computer with WinXP and also used VR for? To test this, try saving the VR project to a FAT32 device: another HD (on a network?), or a Zip drive, or even a floppy. If the objects are then saved, you can then move it to the NTFS drive.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what could be causing this.
#1212 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:17 pm
Hi.

If it is indeed the NTFS thing that Neil suggested, in XP you can also right click on your program icon, go to properties, then click on the "compatibility" tab ... check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", then from the drop-down box, pick "Windows 98 / Windows ME". This will let you save to your hardrive instead of to a cd, zip drive, etc.

Hope this helps.

Steve Baldwin
Goodman Architectural Services
SRB Ventures
Joplin, MO
#1217 by panz70
Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 am
I have tryied all the soloution in the post, thank you.
Conclusion:
- i can't restore old projects :( :twisted: from the net;
- when i copy an old project from tne net in another drive or in my hd it's not possible restore;
- when i'll make new project i have to save on my hd and not in the net.
I don't know the couse but it's the only way to work.
Thank you very much
Ciao
roberto
#1218 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:40 am
Hi.

It sounds like a "pathing" issue. If you copy or move the VR/Renderize project, the "paths" must be **exactly** the same as they were when you saved the project. The .eye file references other files ... objects, images, etc. ... when opening the project. You can use a text editor, such as Notepad or Wordpad, to open the .eye file, scroll down to see what the paths are to go get the objects, images, etc. Then you can either re-create the same paths on the machine that you are moving the project to, or tediously go through the .eye file to type in, or copy/paste new "paths" to redefine where the project is looking to get the information if, for example, you have a new format for the way you want to save your projects.

I actually do this myself regularly for my renderings that I do at my day job in order to save and archive them at home, since the project path setup is different at work than what I have and prefer at home ... in order to keep a port folio and working files of all of my renderings.

Hope this helps.

Steve Baldwin
SRB Ventures
Joplin, MO