Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1345 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:03 am
That's why it ought to be cheap for MMadura to buy from the old author, put a new label on it, tweek it a bit, and add it back into the DataCAD package.
#1347 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:22 am
Hello Dwight:

The problem is, I think o2c Interactive! is better, very much faster to work with, supported more directly from DataCAD, less expensive -- and it already is tweaked! And DataCAD already owns it... :wink:
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#1351 by Nick Pyner
Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:17 pm
[quote="Neil Blanchard"]Hello Dwight:

The problem is, I think o2c Interactive! is better, very much faster to work with, supported more directly from DataCAD, less expensive -- and it already is tweaked! And DataCAD already owns it...

No. If you want to do anything serious with lighting, positional control, or entourage, you are simply on the wrong tram.
And don't even think about animation......

o2c is fine for casual stuff but it's notable that the only complaints it gets concerns things it simply doesn't do.

Further, when DCad provided VR, I don't recall any support.
#1362 by pmerkl
Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:58 pm
8) In the past I have brought any of my rendering images into a 3rd party software like Corel Draw and Corel paint. I can import cadd files (vector drawings) photos or rendered images into Corel Draw. The rendered image can be brought into corel paint where you can add or change the image if required. This allows me to have a 24"x36" presentation board with multiple types of images.

From reading the comments from everyone, I agree I wish Datacad had a rendering package with it where you could do more than what o2c has to offer. We will have to see what Datacad comes up with. I am in the process also of seeking out a rendering package to supplement my Datacad. I have played with the Piranesi and sketch up and both are nice. There are alot of older rendering programs out there. Find one and learn it untill Datacad developes its own or supplies a add on.
#1394 by SkylineArch
Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:57 am
Personally, I wish DataCAD would NOT provide any rendering program with it at all to keep the cost down. What percentage of people actually use it? If someone does 3D work and wants to render it they can export it to a 3rd party program. If DataCAD wants to spend any more time on 3D, have it export a 3DS file. The only thing I use in DataCAD as far as rendering is quick shade, it allows me to check if my model is correct before I export.

my $.02
#1399 by Nick Pyner
Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:44 am
[quote="SkylineArch"]What percentage of people actually use it?

Well, one thing I note is that this thread has generated the most views and most replies on this forum.....

That sort of traffic may be encouragingly indicative. 8)
#1400 by Nick Pyner
Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:44 am

Well, one thing I note is that this thread has generated the most views and most replies on this forum.....

#1401 by Nick Pyner
Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:46 am

#1404 by joshhuggins
Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:05 pm
I think now that Datacad is moving towards a delphi based system, they could "easily" offer the rendering package as addon. I know I have pretty much put my 3D work on hold waiting with bated breath for what ever is Datacad's real next move. If it's not something near or clearly working towards a parametric system as disscussed by Neil, myself and others, with a good rendering option, I think Datacad's rep could be hurt a little bit. I hope for the best and will wait and see......
#1462 by SkylineArch
Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:27 pm
[quote="Nick Pyner]Well, one thing I note is that this thread has generated the most views and most replies on this forum.....

That sort of traffic may be encouragingly indicative. 8)[/quote]

this thread could be getting a lot of traffice because there are a lot of people looking for a good way to do renderings on DataCAD, and haven't found it. The rendering options currently available are great for study models or to show clients, but nothting for print without a lot of post rendering work.

If someone can prove me wrong, please do so. i haven't spent much time with any of the rendering programs in DataCAD. You can visit my gallery for a couple renderings I've done using a DataCAD model in trueSpace. Those are not my best examples, but they are something to see.

I'm not against O2C or any other product DataCAD has used, they just haven't been very usefull to me.

perhaps DataCAD LLC can provide a rendering package ad-on to expand DataCAD, much like Vis or 3DS on the AutoDesk side.
#1472 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:56 pm
Hi.

SkylineArch wrote:... You can visit my gallery for a couple renderings I've done using a DataCAD model in trueSpace.

I was wanting to check out your renderings, but you don't have a link to your web site (as of the time I typed this message).
#1487 by Nick Pyner
Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:49 pm
Pretty nice stuff![/quote]

Nice indeed. I particularly like the shaded detail deep in the porch. And there is a nice style in the last one. These could have been done in Renderise Live and probably o2c as well.
#1503 by SkylineArch
Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:16 pm
thanks,

Also, being in trueSpace (or 3DS would as well) and since everything is 3D, including trees and landscaping, I have fly-by movies of that house too.

I'm in the process of modeling a new house with complete interior that I will set up an exterior to interior flythrough. My goal is to model the entire house well enough to make it hard to tell it's computer generated. I have new trees i created that are not shown in my datacad gallery that look very real and have a lot lower poly count than the trees in my gallery.

When i get the movie done, if i can find a way to post it i will.