Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1210 by The_Log_Connection
Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:41 pm
Hopefully Datacad will step up to the table. I have been a client since V5. and paid for each upgrade. Up till this one I have been very happy with every new and improved version.

If not, hopefully someone looking to upgrade will save a few upgrade bucks and trade.

Steve
#1211 by SkylineArch
Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:58 pm
yeah, they should have an extra v10 key laying around and a serial number, that's pretty much all you need.

I understand why they switched file formats but a save-as would have been nice. I would have upgraded to 11 already, now I’m not in a big hurry, but I will buy shortly.

Like I said in a different post, too bad someone can't write a macro or something. A prog that basically writes a DXF and imports it to a DC5 and keeps your line types and colors would be pretty much all you need just in case you have to save back.

Like I said, I'd love to trade you but I do sub-contract work and need to use v10 files.
#1234 by The_Log_Connection
Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:16 pm
Mark,

You are correct, Version 11 does have some nice features.

BUT

A couple examples:
After you switch to Version 11 and get going with it your impressed.
A past client calls and askes you make simple change. No need to fuss and you make a three or four minute adjustment and send a changed pdf.
No problem, you would not even charge for something so small and simple.

Guessing that you are the only person in your office that works on Datacad V11 and this client calls back and tells your non V10 worker he lost the file and want you to make him another pdf and send it off.

You employee is trying to be helpful and opens the DC5 file, create the pdf and sends the file off to you client. Your employee thinks they did a good thing and your client has the wrong info!
(and now the freebie in costly)

Another example:

Verion 11 worker takes laptop on the road for business and back in the office a client wants a copy of a drawing that no one can open!
(YES, this has happened!)

Another example:
I design a home on V11 and pass the final work off to a drafter on V10. They now must import a DXF. Once imported everything on each layer is grouped together. Now that we know this we have addapted.

But before, if you are zoomed in and just want to delete a door you best not select by grooop. If you do . . . they are all gone.

Another example:

Just ask

After the last example I should have bought a V10 and discarded the V11 on ebay. (Or bought 5 more V11 . . .ya right)

Anyone want my V11? . . . if I create any more "examples" I may offer it with a little cash just to get it gone.
#1235 by Paul Nida
Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:47 pm
We upgraded everyone at the same time to version 11, something like 18 or 20 seats now. Most of our machines still have version 10 on them just in case. But I don't think anyone ever goes back and uses it anymore. The only outside people we use are Autocad consultants so we have to convert our drawings for them anyway. I don't know anything about your financial situation of course, but in my opinion there is value in having everyone working on v.11. Everyone has to do what their situation demands, but in my opinion you are better off moving everyone to v.11 in the long run. I know I don' t want to go back to 10.
#1236 by Philip Hart
Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:56 pm
The issues that you present here are valid ones, and ones with which I was concerned at the point of planning for our upgrade from 10 to 11. I work in an office with ten seats of DataCAD and a large number of projects underway at any given time. We started by upgrading one seat from 10 to 11. I left 10 installed on my system while I worked on getting familiar with the new features and rewrote many of the customizations that we have become accustomed to using.

At the point of upgrading the other nine seats, we left 10 installed on everyone's systems. On a project by project basis, we decided when to make the switch. For projects nearing completion of construction, we stayed with 10; for brand new projects, we initiated them in 11. For larger projects with more than one person working on them, we pretty generally did the changeover at the end of a phase of the project, converting all of the drawings for the project at the same time. For smaller projects, the switch was made at some "logical" point. Importantly, for each project at the point of conversion, the aec files became the active ones and the dc5 files were archived. In reality, the switchover was much cleaner and less of a hassle than I had anticipated. The important thing about it, though, was that everyone made the switch and everyone was conscious of the issues involved.

The other (implied) issue is that of the cost of making the upgrade for multiple seats. The only thing that I can say is that I believe that this is the most important upgrade that DataCAD users have ever been offered. I have been a DataCAD user since 1985 have gone through alot of changes with the program - many of them have offered significant improvements in features and performance. I honestly believe that the upgrade from 10 to 11 is more "worth it" than any other single upgrade.
#1237 by The_Log_Connection
Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:18 pm
Philip,

I concur, the upgrade is the very significant and the improvements are great. Our office does not make full use of the newest advancements but non the less still great.

What bugs me is that I was not aware the program would not save a DC5. When I return and do a comparison on the Datacad site I do see it open a DC5 but will not save a DC5. My error, I missed this in my initial review.

I have the choice to shell out for five new seats or one. With the cost only factor one wins. I need to weigh up the benefits vrs. cost. My immediate thought are that the one will fulfill all our needs. This is what I have been asking to trade for a V10.

With a trade I get the V10 that will make me happy and with whom I trade will save a few dollars.

Steve
#1238 by WizArtist
Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:48 pm
My concerns with such a swap is the whole registration process (would it nullify the EULA and such), what happens if the hardlock gets damaged in transit (would a person be able to get one for free?), and the downtime while the software is in transit. Also, would this include all documentation?
#1242 by The_Log_Connection
Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:39 pm
WizArtist,

I'm sure we are both able to safely package the product and ship them.

What is the EULA?
You paid for your software, it's yours. It's not like Autodeck poduct that you pay to use. I have not read or seen this in any Datacad cocumnetation.

But when you upgrade all they ask for is the DC#

Mark . . . let me know when you want to upgrade. I may still have this one on hand.

Steve
#1254 by WizArtist
Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:36 pm