Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1224 by Joanna_3E
Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:19 am
Hallo,

last time I met some cases, when I can't activate hardlock (for DataCAD11) even if I installed new drivers and tried all possibilities... This is usually OK on older PC's, problems occurs on newer computers. It is possible, that it is through inconvenient configuration individual parts of computer? I am helpless, what to say to user in this case?
#1228 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:08 am
Hello Joanna:

I'm assuming that it is an LPT (parallel port) hardlock? You can change the mode of the LPT port in the computer's BIOS. To get into the BIOS, right at the beginning of the boot process, you need to read the text and find out what key to hit: it is usually the F1 key, or the Delete key, or sometimes it is the F2 key. If you can't figure out which one, just hit the F1 and Delete repeatedly during the early part of the boot.

Once you are in the BIOS (it is ususally a blue screen with white text, you need to find the menu that has the LPT setting. You'll likely need to use the arrow keys to navigate, the Enter key to select, and Escape key to go back, and sometimes the + and the - keys on the number pad to change the settings.

Try something like SPP or Normal or ECP/EPP for the LPT setting.

Exit and save the changes.
Be very careful not to change any other settings! Especially if you don't know what they are. If you do something that prevents the computer from booting, then you may have to use a reset jumper on the motherboard -- so be very careful in the BIOS!
#1229 by Joanna_3E
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:44 am
Hi Neil,

I am very sorry, but problems with LPT ports I know. My problems are with USB hardlocks. It's very unpleasant to say anybody, that I can't help him and can't run DataCAD on his computer because of hardlock... Have you ever met something similar?
#1231 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:07 pm
Hello Joanna:

Oh, USB huh? Is the red light on? Is there an error message? Have you installed the HASP driver? (Which is on the same page on the DataCAD website that has the WinXP driver.)
#1233 by Joanna_3E
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:54 pm
Hmmm, situation was right that you describe it. Red light wasn't on, all drivers we tried install, but - nothing. On one computer all was good, but on three others (include notebooks) were problems. WinXP found new hardware, tried install it, but at the end it wrote, that installation isn't possible, because there is no driver :shock: I don't know, what to do... So have a nice day...
#1243 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:54 pm
Hello Joanna:

Did you see the "Sticky" at the top of this section?

Troubleshooting hardlock problems

Start reading at: "If your USB key is connected, but the light does not turn on..." and follow what Mark Toce has posted -- make sure to download both the drivers from the linked page.

I wonder if the three that don't work have WinXP SP2 and the one that does work has SP1 (or even just WinXP)? If so, then you'll want to upgrade that one -- after you get the other three to work! :wink: And they should work, if you install the two new drivers.
#1247 by Joanna_3E
Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:42 am
Hello Neil,

sure I red it, today I will try my best once more and then I will see. :wink:

Have a nice weekend
#1248 by Joanna_3E
Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:25 am
Hello Neil,

so the problems with USB hardlock on the end is that this one is wrong
:( My colleague checked situation himself and found, that other hardlocks are OK, only this one didn't work absolutely with any computer.
In spite of this thank you for your time and help.

Best regards and happy Easter :)
#1249 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:35 am
Hello Joanna:

Joanna_3E wrote:so the problems with USB hardlock on the end is that this one is wrong
:( My colleague checked situation himself and found, that other hardlocks are OK, only this one didn't work absolutely with any computer.
In spite of this thank you for your time and help.

Best regards and happy Easter :)

I'm glad that you folks figured it out! A broken hardlock would be another possible cause! :roll:

And happy Easter to you, too. It's a gorgeous, sunny day here and it will be in the 50's (F)!!