Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#16229 by MouseJockey
Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:12 am
Does anyone know why DCad files drop their Pentable and printer settings between one person working in the file on one machine, and another person opening the file on their machine?

I had thought it was just that the same printer was named differently, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I like to batchplot a lot and this has bitten me several times.
#16237 by deliriousga
Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:34 am
Make sure your pen tables are stored in the exact same place on each computer or on a shared network drive. Here's an example:

You have a file on CPU1 using PENS1 pen table. Let's say on CPU1, the PENS1 pen table is located in default folder C:\Program Files\Datacad\Support Files\.

Next, you go to CPU2 and open the file, but the pen table is different. Check CPU2 and make sure your PENS1 pen table is saved on that computer and located in the folder C:\Program Files\Datacad\Support Files\. If it's not there, then DataCAD can't find it so it goes to the default pen table DCADWIN.

If you use only one pen table, you could just save it to the DCADWIN name then copy it to the other computers. That way even if it defaulted again it would be the right pen table.
#16253 by Greg Blandin
Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:21 pm
You can change the default file location for the pens in the dcadwin.ini file.

Look for:

PATH_PENTABLE=\Support Files\

under the [Paths] section

You can change the path to what you wish.

Safety Note: I made a backup of my dcadwin.ini file in case something goes wrong.
#16286 by MouseJockey
Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:18 pm
Make sure your pen tables are stored in the exact same place on each computer or on a shared network drive. Here's an example:

Check, we keep them in the same folder on each machine.

Neil Blanchard wrote:Greetings,

What "flavors" of Windows are on the various machines? Are any of them running 64bit Windows?

No we're all on XP Pro. Though several of the machines are recent upgrades (64 bit proc. Core 2 Duo or Itaniums). This problem seems to have risen since those upgrades.
#16299 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Greetings,

MouseJockey wrote:No we're all on XP Pro. Though several of the machines are recent upgrades (64 bit proc. Core 2 Duo or Itaniums). This problem seems to have risen since those upgrades.

Hmmm, I had it happen when I was booted to WinXP Pro x64 Edition, but the same machine when booted to WinXP Pro (32bit), there was no problem. This is why I was thinking it was the 64bit Windows.

Maybe it is the printer driver? It might have to do with the 64bit (capable) CPU's, but my machine is an Athlon 64 X2, which is 64bit, so this seems unlikely to be the direct cause. I suspect that it is software, which may be related to what the hardware is, but the software is the problem.

This might need to be taken up by Tech Support?
#16311 by MouseJockey
Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:48 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:
Hmmm, I had it happen when I was booted to WinXP Pro x64 Edition, but the same machine when booted to WinXP Pro (32bit), there was no problem. This is why I was thinking it was the 64bit Windows.

Maybe it is the printer driver? It might have to do with the 64bit (capable) CPU's, but my machine is an Athlon 64 X2, which is 64bit, so this seems unlikely to be the direct cause. I suspect that it is software, which may be related to what the hardware is, but the software is the problem.

This might need to be taken up by Tech Support?

I was thinking the same, that it is something about the DCad or print driver installation.