Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#17219 by Ted B
Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:29 pm
Has anyone had the experience of Datacad-11 locking-up after updating to Microsoft Internet Explorer version-7?

For the last two days, I've had Dcad lockup while attempting to change folders in the Symbol Browser. After getting a "non-respondive" message and having to recover the autosave after restarting, I still had the problem and copy/pasted'd the entire drawing to a new drawing file thinking it was a corrupt file problem. After a few symbol browser changes the probelm returned in the new file. I copy/paste'd the drawing into yet another new file...the third so far...since I desparately needed to get the revsions completed and the project plotted-out for delivery to the Client last night. I must have lost at-least two-hours in wasted time and re-drafting trying to get around the lock-up...very annoying when you have a real deadline.

Until now my Datacad installation has been rock-solid. The only change to the overall system lately was upgrading to IE-7 the end of last week. I read on another site that IE-7 created havoc with Autodesk's .dwf format and they're rushing to create a patch...either at Autodesk or MS, the article was vague on the "they". That's what now makes me wonder if there's a connection?

Anyone have a similar experience?
#17220 by Tony Blasio
Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:41 pm
I am running IE7 at work and home. WinXP Pro at work and WinXP Home at home. No problems at all like what you are describing. Running latest DataCAD at both.
#17230 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:44 pm
No issues with IE7 here either, sorry :?
#17232 by Mark Toce
Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:51 pm
Could you elaborate on the nature of the lockup? At what point during the process does it occur? After you click which button? Does the [Esc] key release the program from the frozen state?
#17233 by Ted B
Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:19 pm
Mark,
Each time it would lock-up when I went to change the "folder" in the symbol browser. The "please wait" icon (hourglass) would appear...and it would lock-up there even if you left it for a few minutes to think...then "not responding" message would appear at top where the filename is displayed.

Nothing seemed to release the lock-up of Datacad, and I had to use task-manager just to get Datacad to shut down. It did not seem to freeze-up the entire XP-interface, one-time I was able to "close" the Datacad window using the "X" in the upper-right

Hope this helps.

I hope that this was just a transitory 'burp' and not a patch-problem. The problem between IE-7 and .dwf sounds like a real mess as-described, considering they are both fairly ubiquitous elements in the CAD world. I though I'd flag-this just in-case this might be a real systemic-problem.
#17236 by Mark Toce
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:04 pm
It sounds like the Browse Folder dialog is opening off-screen.

Exit DataCAD and open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
Go to the C:\Program Files\DataCAD\Support Files folder.
Locate DcadwinDialogs.gui and open it using Notepad.
Find the [Browse Folder] section and erase it, including the Left=, Top=, Width= and Height= lines in that section.
Save the changes, then close the file and re-open DataCAD.

The Symbol Browser should now work correctly.
#17237 by Greg Blandin
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:53 pm
Mark Toce wrote: Does the [Esc] key release the program from the frozen state?

The [End] key will release the program in an instance like that also.