Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#17404 by deliriousga
Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:09 pm
Is it possible for me to make the text in the drawing and in dimensions print the same size independent of the print scale?

When I print condo ocuments, the plans are printed at a much smaller scale than the original plans so the text is not readable. Since I XREF the same file for the original plan sheets and the condo documents, it would be nice if the text would print the same, readable size for both the 1/4" and 1/16" plots.

TIA!
#19058 by Jeff Budkoski
Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:00 pm
I guess no one had any ideas...
#19086 by Steve Baldwin
Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:54 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:I'm not sure how that would work -- changing the text after the fact would be tough.

...And would be virtually impossible to control how the text related to the other things around it at all of the various scales.
#19096 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:42 am
The problem then would be placement of the text. Since it would take up MUCH more space, your text probably still wouldn't be readable.
#19141 by Jeff Budkoski
Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:46 pm
So what is Text Scale under the Settings menu used for?
#19157 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:17 pm
Hello Jeff,

Text Scale is a quick and easy way to size text -- and set up all the dims, too, before you place it. It does not change text/dims after they have been placed.

To use Text Scale, what you do is set the plot scale that you want to use, then set the text size that you want to get on the paper. Same for all the dimension settings -- you set them to the sizes that you want them to be on the plot.

Then when you change the plot scale -- ALL new text and dims will be entered to be at the same size on the paper. Change the plot scale again, and all new text and dims are entered at the proper size to end up the way you want them to be one paper.

The best thing is, if you select the option to have the current plot scale saved as part of the GTV -- when you change GTV's, you can just go ahead and enter text and dims, and they will be sized correctly on the paper. Another benefit of this is, when you place a GTV on an MSP sheet, it comes in at the proper scale.
#19158 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:35 pm
What gets me about textscale is you have to change the plot scale.

What's the difference between that and change text size each time?

The obvious answer is you don't have to figure out the text size each time, but for those of us that have it memorized already and can change text size quickly, there really is no need to use text scale.
#19193 by Greg Blandin
Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:45 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello Greg,

Ah, but what about all the dim settings?

Dim Styles

Neil Blanchard wrote:And, if the GTV "remembers" the plot scale -- you don't have to do anything, after it is set up...

Assuming everyone uses GTV to that extent.
#19203 by Paul Nida
Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 am
This is another one of the nice things about DataCAD, there are usually multiple ways of doing the same thing. And the way that you prefer is the best way for you to work. I prefer using Text Scale personally but our office uses real world sizes as a general rule. However, when version 12 is released I am going to try to change that because I think there are enough advantages to make the change.
#19205 by Greg Blandin
Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:08 am
We are in the process of standardizing our drawings and procedures.

I'll be looking into using text scales in this process.

But as Paul stated, there are many ways to do things and people become efficient with whatever way they choose.