Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#17556 by carey wallis
Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:44 am
Can anyone shed some light on a problem, I have upgraded from dc9 to dc11 and it will not load the template files I have in dc9 tpl folder. it loads the divisions but not the actual templates.
#17561 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:50 am
Hello Carey & welcome,

This is the age-old pathing issue. There are two ways to solve it: the easy one is simply to use the v11 Symbol Browser to open the folder where the symbol files are located; bypassing the template files completely. (Control-T opens and closes the SB.)

The harder solution is to fix the paths in all the templates. To do this, you'll need a text editor with Search and Replace. UltraEdit can do it for all the templates at once.

V11 has totally reorganized the symbols, renaming them, and organizing them in logically named folders. I would recommend copying you old custom symbols into new folders within this new structure, and then use the SB to open them w/o templates. This makes life much easier. If you must have the symbols in a certain order, you can probably use 00-, 01-, 02-, etc. as prefixes to the name of the symbol to get them into the right order.

The SB will also open templates, but the paths in the template files still have to work. Another important feature of the SB is it can show you all the symbols contained in a particular drawing.
#17661 by carey wallis
Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:07 pm
Hi Neil, thanks for the reply, I have opened the symbol browser and some of my template files load but not all, can I copy all the .tpl files to new folders?
#17664 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:15 pm
Yes, you can.

As Neil hinted at, you may need to manually (via Notepad or another plain editor) modify the TPL file and make sure that the path points to where your symbols are.
#17666 by Greg Blandin
Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:21 am
Alan,

I think he meant about having the drawing in the template in the symbol browser.

I'm not sure how the template was set up as I never used it, but if I understand correctly all your symbols are in one folder and the templates were basically populated with links to the symbols.

What you can do is open the symbol browser and in the upper left corner of it should be a file folder icon. Click on that and select folder (even though it's already checked).

This will open a new dialog box for you to search where you have your symbols stored.

Find that folder and select it. Once selected it will show up in the display.

You will want to eventually break it down to separate folders to better find the stuff you need.

You may also need to convert the files over to the new .dsf format.

There is a way to do all easily, but it escapes my memory right now.

Gluck!

Greg
#17854 by artmanvt2000
Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:54 pm
Back a couple of years ago I went through the process of orginizing the our symbols folder structure. I made sure that the symbols where saved in a similar folder structure as the templates, leaving the symbols in the SYM folder and the Templates in the TMP folder. It was a long and boring process but it made switch to the new symbol browser a breeze. I know re-organizing your symbols is the last thing you want to do, but it is a huge time saver if you can.
#17925 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:09 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:I know re-organizing your symbols is the last thing you want to do, but it is a huge time saver if you can.

Yup. I agree.