Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#17627 by Mark Toce
Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:22 pm
Dick Eades wrote:I'll have to lob in here the obvious "So how does AutoCAD do it?"

But then AutoCAD isn't doing it are they.

Bingo! DataCAD is exporting the host drawing and each XREF drawing to separate files. When the AutoCAD user opens the host file, the program is able to simply load the XREFs, the same way that DataCAD is able to open a host file in our native format and load the XREFs.
#17634 by Dick Eades
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:06 pm
So, until we have direct read/write of the elusive dwg format, we won't be to read AutoCAD's xref's.

Now where was that feature list for v12? I know it's around here somewhere.
#17635 by Tony Blasio
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:26 pm
OK how about this. Can DataCAD try to load the XREF just in case it has already been converted? If it can't find it can we get the orphan message?

As it is now I don't even know there is an XREF or what file it is. If I get the orphan then I know the name of the file and I can redefine it or repath it.

Typically when I get files from a consultant in DWG I just have DataCAD open all of them at once. I bet half the time the file needed to be inserted has already been converted and exists as an AEC file.

Does this make sense?
#17637 by Mark Toce
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:45 pm
Dick Eades wrote:So, until we have direct read/write of the elusive dwg format, we won't be to read AutoCAD's xref's.

Now where was that feature list for v12? I know it's around here somewhere.
You can read them, just not automatically. The host file and the XREF file are two separate DWG files that must be imported into two separate AEC files.

Think of it this way: when you create a drawing in DataCAD and insert an XREF, that XREF is a seaparate drawing file on your hard drive. When you export it to DWG format, DataCAD creates two separate DWG files. The host file contains the link to the XREF file, so that when you open the host file in AutoCAD, it automatically loads the associated XREF.

If AutoCAD had the ability to translate DWG files to AEC format (yeah, right :roll:), they could do the same. Save out two separate AEC files, with the host file containing a link to the XREF. Then when you opened the host file in DataCAD, it would automatically load the associated XREF. Anyone wanna call over to Autodesk and see if they can start working on this?
#17639 by Mark Toce
Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:02 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:OK how about this. Can DataCAD try to load the XREF just in case it has already been converted? If it can't find it can we get the orphan message?

As it is now I don't even know there is an XREF or what file it is. If I get the orphan then I know the name of the file and I can redefine it or repath it.

Typically when I get files from a consultant in DWG I just have DataCAD open all of them at once. I bet half the time the file needed to be inserted has already been converted and exists as an AEC file.

Does this make sense?
Does your associate know whether or not they inserted an XREF before sending you the file? If so, rather than having us spend the development time and resources that are currently concentrated on smart tools to instead create an automated DWG XREF import feature, your associate could simply tell you that there is an XREF in the file and provide the XREF drawing. Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like the path of least resistance.

At some point, we can look into the ODA toolkit to determine if XREF instances are even supported. Since DataCAD does not currently support importing the instance (which would enable the program to determine if there is an orhpan), my guess is that they do not.
#17640 by Tony Blasio
Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:14 pm
Mark,

It is actually deeper than that. Yes I am sure the consultant knows there is an XREF involved and they could tell me. But if I get 30+ DWG's it isn't much help to know. I would have to ask what is the file name for each drawing file, where is it's insertion point, what layers are on and what layers are off and of course what layer do I insert the XREF on. Not to mention they may have inserted the same file twice in a drawing with different layers. I do it in DataCAD so I am sure the must too.

Easiest would be if DataCAD could handle the XREF's once converted just like it handles AEC file XREF's. In my opinion since DataCAD can export files as XREF's into DWG format and when opened in ACAD the XREF comes in with the right layers. There has to be a way to reverse that into an import capability.

Just my opinion.
#17641 by Dick Eades
Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:16 pm
If we open an AutoCAD host file in DataCAD without the xref's present and already converted, we do not see the xref instance or even know that it exists other than an obvious lack of information, so we don't know to look for or ask for the xref.

I have been after my engineers to import xref's of my base plans and work over them, but now that they are doing that, the files won't make the round trip. They send me their files containing xref's of my base plans, but DataCAD won't open them and I have a hard time trying to re-register them to my base plans because they have been moved relative to 0,0.

If we open an AutoCAD host file using an AutoCAD viewer (DWG TrueView 2) we cannot discover the presence or identity of an xref (except for the layername prefix in the layer list) if the xref is present. If the xref is not present, there is a text marker that shows it, if you can find it.

If we send a host file to an AutoCAD user without all reference files included, the file simply will not open and the AutoCAD user gets nothing. I'm having problems with DataCAD exporting nested reference files that are not "needed" but AutoCAD won't open the file without them.
#17643 by Dick Eades
Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:23 pm
I have seen from some AutoCAD users a file that contains a "list of dependencies". I had the impression that this was a file that could be generated by AutoCAD to be included with the file and act as a guide to dealing with these complexities.
#17653 by Greg Blandin
Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:39 pm
I have found that if opening a drawing in edrawings and the needed xref is not included it pops up a dialog box saying it can't find a certain file and where to search for it.
#17663 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 pm
Though this is only a workaround, make sure that you request your engineer (associate, etc.) BIND the xref's into the drawing - and that the binding should be as an INSERT. At least this way it should make the round trip, and it **should** translate over to DC where you can replace the symbol (which is what the INSERT should do on the Acad end).
#17850 by Giuseppe Barberio
Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:22 pm
peter korzaan wrote:BiBicBockBlet *$@"^**#

Well I downloaded the DWG True View from AutoDesk and it is showing the file as it should be. What I import into Dcad is much less...

It has some of the stuff but no walls..

TIA p.

Could it be that walls are not showing up in DataCad because they are smart walls in Autocad?

Giuseppe