Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#17582 by Greg Blandin
Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:00 am
I thought it was 2006.

Have them save it down.

If they can't I hear that AutoDesk has a free program called TrueConvert or something like that that will do it for you.
#17590 by peter korzaan
Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:23 am
Had them send it to me in 2000, all is well..

thanks, will check out the download for future.

p.
#17593 by Steve Baldwin
Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:40 am
Greg Blandin wrote:If they can't I hear that AutoDesk has a free program called TrueConvert or something like that that will do it for you.

I installed TrueConvert a couple of weeks ago. It says that it converts between AutoCad versions 14, 2000, 2004, and 2007.
#17601 by peter korzaan
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:06 am
BiBicBockBlet *$@"^**#

You guys go through this all the time.. hats off and a salute... I very rarely do.

Well I downloaded the DWG True View from AutoDesk and it is showing the file as it should be. What I import into Dcad is much less...

It has some of the stuff but no walls..

With my inexperience, and the trouble of seeing it from there, can anyone possibly give me a clue on my misadventure in importing the dwg.

TIA p.
#17604 by Dick Eades
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:51 am
There's probably an xref in there that dcad can't import.
#17607 by peter korzaan
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:55 am
ah ... the plot thickens...
so an Xref would show up in the viewer and everything would look OK there, but the import would fail to import it. Correct?
#17608 by Tony Blasio
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:58 am
I may be missing something but DataCAD doesn't import XREF's at all. I really wish it did so if there is a way please pass it along.

I know DataCAD can export XREF's that display correctly in ACAD, but not import.

Why can't DataCAD import DWG files with XREF's? :?: ?
#17609 by Greg Blandin
Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:07 pm
My guess is that it's not so much the xref as the viewports.

Bit's and pieces of a drawing are all strewn about and they are put together to look nice with view ports.

Kinda like our MSP.
#17612 by Dick Eades
Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:26 pm
Tony,

It seems that whenever this subject comes up, the company gets real quiet.
#17616 by Mark Toce
Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:45 pm
Dick Eades wrote:Tony,

Each XREF is a separate drawing file. In order to automatically import each separate drawing file, DataCAD would need to automaitcally create it's own new drawing files, locate the XREFs, and translate them. The process of translating a DWG file involves a lot of variables that require input from the user, so at this point we have not yet developed an automated system to do so.
#17617 by Greg Blandin
Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:53 pm
Thank you for the info Mark!
#17618 by Tony Blasio
Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:54 pm
Mark Toce wrote:
Dick Eades wrote:Tony,

Each XREF is a separate drawing file. In order to automatically import each separate drawing file, DataCAD would need to automaitcally create it's own new drawing files, locate the XREFs, and translate them. The process of translating a DWG file involves a lot of variables that require input from the user, so at this point we have not yet developed an automated system to do so.

I wouldn't object to a prompt stating:

Drawing A contains an XREF of Drawing B. Create new drawing and import Drawing B? Yes No Maybe
#17620 by Dick Eades
Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:28 pm
Mark Tode wrote:

I'll have to lob in here the obvious "So how does AutoCAD do it?"

But then AutoCAD isn't doing it are they. We manage to make ours work for AutoCAD. Seems like a one-way street. Can anyone say "Restraint of Trade".