Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#18017 by DDA184
Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:50 pm
I've been using DataCad now for some time now as my basis for all my schematic drawings.
I am fortunate that my business has grown, and I now find the need to learn the 3D portion or this powerful program. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to learn this side of DataCad. Is it just a matter of cracking the books again and doing the trial and error thing.
:shock:
#18026 by joshhuggins
Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:22 pm
I highly recommend the Official Datacad User Guide. It was written during v.9 but most of it still applies with a few tweaks to the program since then. The 3D Power Tools macro is a must for 3D. And while I have not read it myself, the Official User Guide co-author Mike Smith also has a Advanced Construction Drawing and Visualization book. All are available here at the Datacad Store. And finally, ask questions here on how to create a specific parts or methods used and you will usually get several different answers and may find a new way of your own! Good luck and have fun!
#18061 by peter korzaan
Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:48 pm
Your going to love it. But it may be frustrating as it takes time to learn and to draw. Not many it seems use it,because of that. But its great for details and its a wealth when dealing with clients directly. They can 'see', at there eye height, say out the kitchen window towards.. whatever. Especially viable.

I do all my drawings in 3d. Just enough 2d to get it started. Two years ago I was doing some service with an old wonderful Architect from California, who hated 3d. I actually had to go to the book to learn how to complete a drawing in 2d. ;-)

If it had not been for the precursor to this forum, Debug, (which is still very much in service, thank you) I would never had learn as much as I know about it, nor would have stayed with Dcad, without their patience.

As I have not been able, nor ever have felt proficient enough with Dcad to answer a lot of questions, please feel free to e-mail me anything about the subject and I will share what little I know. There is so many different ways to do much the same thing.
p
#18062 by DDA184
Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:59 pm
for all the support. I appreciate all the advise and wealth of knowledge every individual gives to this forum.

I will utilize everyones background as I start learning the 3D portion