Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#18121 by Glenn Curran
Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:39 pm
My Identify command no longer works. When I select an entity with (caps) "I", I get the message "Datacad internal stack overflow! Buffer empty!" Any ideas? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm probably missing something really simple) and many thanks to anyone who can help.
Best wishes for 2007.
#18148 by Nick Pyner
Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:46 pm
It's not a stupid question. If you get something that serious happening after such a simple operation, there has to be something seriously wrong.

I would shut down and make sure the file is safe. The file may be the problem and one test is to open a new one and see if you get the same result. If so, it's time to reinstall DataCad. If you have a kosher version stashed away, now is the time to be glad of it. If not, it's pretty quick and painless to do it from scratch these days anyway.

The file may reopen OK. There could have been some garbage that was cleaned up when you shut down.

You may find the problem intermittant, i.e. you struck a bad entity but others are OK.
#18167 by Glenn Curran
Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:22 am
Thanks for responding, Nick. The problem seems to have disappeared overnight, so back in business!
#18176 by Greg Blandin
Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:58 am
Lot's of problems usually clear themselves up with either a program restart or a computer restart.
#18181 by Brian Engebretson
Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36 am
Don’t the “stack overflow/Buffer empty” error messages occur if you jump from one command to another several times without ever exiting a command first? I’m a habitual right clicker so I almost never get this error. And if an error occurs and it kicks you out of a drawing, you should always close DataCAD and restart it before opening another drawing.
#18192 by Greg Blandin
Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:21 pm
Brian Engebretson wrote:Don’t the “stack overflow/Buffer empty” error messages occur if you jump from one command to another several times without ever exiting a command first? I’m a habitual right clicker so I almost never get this error. And if an error occurs and it kicks you out of a drawing, you should always close DataCAD and restart it before opening another drawing.

How many times is several times?

I've found myself 5-6 deep before.