Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#18404 by stephen11962
Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm
I posted this problem in the dwg/dxf forum and now think it is more broadly based.

I cannot export to dwg/dxf file (and most of the time, not able to import/open, but maybe another problem).

I get the message, "Unable to load DLL in memory."

How do I fix that?

Stephen
#18419 by Mark Toce
Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:57 pm
stephen11962 wrote:I posted this problem in the dwg/dxf forum and now think it is more broadly based.

I cannot export to dwg/dxf file (and most of the time, not able to import/open, but maybe another problem).

I get the message, "Unable to load DLL in memory."

How do I fix that?

Stephen

What version of DataCAD 11 do you have? Open any drawing and select About DataCAD from the Help menu to get the exact version number.

When was the last time you successfully exported a file to DXF or DWG? Did you install or remove any software since that time?
#18426 by stephen11962
Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:00 pm
What version of DataCAD 11 do you have? Open any drawing and select About DataCAD from the Help menu to get the exact version number.

When was the last time you successfully exported a file to DXF or DWG? Did you install or remove any software since that time?[/quote]

V 11.08.01

I do not really remember if I have ever done this before - not part of my routine. And so, I cannot really answer the second part of the question. But I have added and subtracted programs, when, in relation to the problem at hand will remain a mystery of life.

I assume that dll file is missing, yes? If I reinstalled the latest version of DataCAD would that restore that file. I do have another version of DataCAD in my office (not there now). I cannot vouch that the same problem exists there. Do you (anyone) know the specific file?

Thanks for your attention

Stephen
#18466 by Mark Toce
Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:50 pm
It does sound like the DLL is either missing or corrupted. You will need to reinstall from the CD first, then reinstall the update to 11.08.01 (if you have an earlier CD version - the number is printed on the label side of the disk).

When you install from the CD, use the Custom installation type and select just the DataCAD 11 program and support files. You do not need to reinstall all components.
#18468 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 pm
Mark,

Have you guys considered creating a "Doctor" program on the install disks so that people can use that to discover is any key files are missing?

Basically a program that will do a quick scan of the install directory and what not to make sure all the components are there that should be there?
#18470 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 pm
Usually running the latest patch will fix minor problems with files, but you can re-install from the CD w/ the latest patch (as Mark suggested) and should be all set. Not much need for a separate program really. There is really only a few files that are used in Datacad.
#18473 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:31 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Usually running the latest patch will fix minor problems with files, but you can re-install from the CD w/ the latest patch (as Mark suggested) and should be all set. Not much need for a separate program really. There is really only a few files that are used in Datacad.

Yeah, but what if you make changes to the different .mcr and .ini files?

You lose them all, don't you?
#18474 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:47 pm
Yeah, but if your trying to hunt down a major Datacad issue, your going to want to make sure all your files are working as expected first, then from your backups you can restore your custom mcr and ini files if needed. Most of the time those files will not be the cause of an error that is serious enough to need a re-install and you should be safe restoring them back into the same version of the program. Restoring them one at a time (backing of the newley restored files first) and making sure things are working o.k. with each file first before restoring another works well.
#18475 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:03 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Yeah, but if your trying to hunt down a major Datacad issue, your going to want to make sure all your files are working as expected first, then from your backups you can restore your custom mcr and ini files if needed. Most of the time those files will not be the cause of an error that is serious enough to need a re-install and you should be safe restoring them back into the same version of the program. Restoring them one at a time (backing of the newley restored files first) and making sure things are working o.k. with each file first before restoring another works well.

Whereas a separate doctor program can hunt through and install missing files. BAM! You're done!

*sorry emeril*
#18488 by stephen11962
Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:50 pm
Me again, back in my real office.

I just tried exporting to dwg from the office box and was successful!

So, I guess that means something is amiss with that dll file.

I would like to fix this thing the easiest way possible which would be a re-installation of the latest upgrade, BUT I wonder is that only the EXE file or does the upgrade include other files which might include the awol dll file? Anyone know the answer to that?

Stephen
#18489 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:56 pm
stephen11962 wrote:Me again, back in my real office.

I just tried exporting to dwg from the office box and was successful!

So, I guess that means something is amiss with that dll file.

I would like to fix this thing the easiest way possible which would be a re-installation of the latest upgrade, BUT I wonder is that only the EXE file or does the upgrade include other files which might include the awol dll file? Anyone know the answer to that?

Stephen

I'd do as Mr. Toce suggested and reinstall from the disk then do the updateds.
#18556 by stephen11962
Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:51 pm
Followed the doctor's orders and I am back in business.

I did, though, get an error message when opening one exported file with the AutoCAD viewer eDrawings2007. Other files worked fine.

I am going to bed!

Thanks to all.

Stephen