Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#18792 by peter korzaan
Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 am
Is there a way to create voids in a hatched area?

I have an area that I need to designate, with a hatch, as slab area. But in that large area, I also am using for foundation details which will go there when the sheet is plotted, using MSP. So, I like to have the perimeter showing the hatch, and the irregular 'center' area clear for the details.

thanks p.
#18795 by Greg Blandin
Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:57 am
add vertex points for the area you want unhatched and make sure your last vertex is back to the corner to close it off.
#18798 by Dick Eades
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 pm
You can create another polyline within the hatched area and make it a void of the hatching polyline. Using Offset helps a lot here but the resulting shape may require some editing.
#18801 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:39 pm
Here is a small video showing how to trim around a bitmap to trim around the exterior. The method Greg mentioned is the exact opposite of the video as you would trim adound the interior of your opening instead. This is the method I use too.

You can also add a polyline around your opening and add it as a void to you existing pattern too, but it's not quite as flexable IMHO.
#18806 by peter korzaan
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:50 pm
thanks for the replies..

Greg, I thought vertex where only used in 3d slabs ect?

Dick.. how do you make a void, what do you select that will make the new polyline enclosure voided?

Josh your video no come through.. broken..

I'm going to have to try these out this afternoon as I have an appointment coming up.

thanks again for the help, never been here before, but then DC12 is coming sooooon, so ... get old learning in while there is time... ;-)

p.
#18807 by Dick Eades
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:59 pm
Peter,

Create the polylines first, both the master and the inner one, then in the Polyline menu select Voids. There you select the master polyline to contain the void, then, with AddVoid selected, you select the void to be added to the master. Later, you may need to convert the void back to a polyline to edit it unless you can use stretch for a simple edit, then reconvert to a void. That's why Josh said it was not as flexible. I use both methods depending on what I am doing.
#18809 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:17 pm
Hmm the link is working here. Should take you to my website where you can click the little floppy disk to start the video.
#18821 by MtnArch
Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:35 pm
Josh's link works fine for me as well.
#18829 by Greg Blandin
Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:46 pm
peter korzaan wrote:
Greg, I thought vertex where only used in 3d slabs ect?

If you go into Curves -> Polyline -> Edit

You will see what I mean.