Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#19951 by Jim Allen
Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:07 pm
One of our computers here every now and then has a problem saving the DataCAD file that is open. When we try to do a forced save the save dialogue box opens. We navigate to where the file is located and try to save it and it tells us the file is open and won't let us save it there. Our work around is to save it with a temporary name, then save again and write over the original file. Then delete the temporary file.

Why would this be happening that it won't save as the name that it has already been named? My guess would be there must be a problem with the temporary files DataCAD creates when it is open. But I don't know how to fix it.

Jim
#19953 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:18 pm
Hello Jim,

The first thing you should do is check if your version is updated: last released is 11.08.01 for DC 11.

1) Are you saving over a local network ?
2) Is there any protection issue for the machine folder, where you are trying to save ?
3) Do you have space available in the disk to save the file ?

HTH,
Miguel
#19954 by joshhuggins
Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm
We've had this happen too, quite a bit. Seems to be related to a user having a file open for quite a while, with some sort of period of inactivity, and probably with the files being access from a network location. Here are some other posts on the topic. We haven't really heard of a solution or even nailed it down to a cause. It's hard to duplicate and just seems to happen randomly usually with the above prerequisites.

:arrow: Save / Save As Post

Copy of Post from Beta Topic: Multiple open copies causing save as glitch
joshhuggins wrote:I found this in Paul Thurrott's latest Vista update and thought it could be related to this file in-use bug, which we are still encountering in v.11 in XP Pro SP2 on a domain. FWIW.
Windows SuperFetch
Windows Vista uses a new version of SuperFetch that causes frequently-accessed applications to start up more quickly than is possible on Windows XP. SuperFetch works behind the scenes, examining how you use your PC over time. Then, it prioritizes the caching of applications in RAM based on your usage patterns. SuperFetch also ensures that your applications are given higher priority than background tasks, so the system is always responsive, even if you're stepped away for a while and have just returned.

SuperFetch answers the infamous "lunch" problem which afflicts Windows XP and previous Windows versions. In those systems, a user would walk away from the PC for lunch or some other duration, leaving the operating system to its own devices. Depending on the version of Windows we're talking about, the most-recently used applications would exit the system cache and the OS might begin working on various background tasks. But when the user returned from lunch and started using their applications again, the PC would be sluggish for a while, as if tired from the long time off. In Vista, this doesn't happen anymore. In fact, Vista is smart enough to understand that you may run certain applications at certain times of day. In such cases, it will pre-cache those applications, supplying even better performance.

It's not possible to configure Windows SuperFetch in any way, to my knowledge. It just sits in the background ensuring that your system is always running optimally.
#19958 by Jim Allen
Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm
Yes we are saving over a network, and yes there is plenty of space to save.

As for inactivity, the file was being used. But he was working on the file all morning and that was his first forced save. It had probably been over 6 hours. The last time this happened a couple of weeks ago, I looked at the time on the file and it had been open for about 8 hours without a forced save. I've warned him he could lose his days work not doing a save all day. Good thing he wasn't around not so many years ago when things crashed or locked up on you.

Thanks Josh and Miguel. Nice to know I'm not alone with a problem.
#20028 by Greg Blandin
Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:55 am
I usually find it to be a corrupt entity in the drawing.

DataCAD tech can find it fairly quickly.

What you can do is (once making a backup file) delete a full layer or set of layers and then try to save and see if it keeps happening.

If it is a corrupt layer, once you figure out what layer the corruption is on, you can take care of it.

Gluck!

Greg