Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#21418 by peter korzaan
Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 am
As a sole practitioner have not had much experience in using xrefs.
I have a drawing that after having to reformat, had had its self xref orphaned. I went in and took care of that through the reference manager, yet the original is again there, the rotated self xref, on another layer is not showing properly. It just has what appears to be an empty poly line square, at the proper angle When I identify it, it fills in Grey, and states its an xref.

What gives... do I need to set it all up again from scratch, or is there something I'm missing.
thanks p.
#21421 by artmanvt2000
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:24 am
Sounds like you have also done a "Clip Cube" of the xref. I believe what has happened is that your "Clip Cube" is outside the xref drawing. Turn of the xref "Clip Cube" and do a new "Clip Cube" around your drawing. Please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.
#21423 by peter korzaan
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:33 am
ah ha... but where would the "Clip Cube" of the xref be? Where would I find it, or look for it. Not having used xref much I may have done this without realizing it, but when I set it up I don't believe I did.
#21424 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:38 am
You can edit the clip cube by Ctrl+right clicking on it, Xref Tools, XClip. But I would also guess that maybe the layers that were once referenced either were renamed or erased, so you may want to Ctrl+Right Click, Xref Tools, Ref. Manager and verify that at least on layer is active for the xref, or that there are entities on the layers.
#21425 by artmanvt2000
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:40 am
Go to your Insert, pull down menu, then select Reference File Management. This will pop open a couple more choices, and select "Clip Cubes". After you have selected the "Clip Cubes" you need to select the Xref you want to modify. After you have select the xref you want to modify, simply select the "Clip on" botton or F1 to turn off the "Clip Cube".
#21426 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 am
Hello Peter,

Do you have the "show Clip Cube" option selected in Preferences? If so, then you can turn on All Layers, and recalc extents, and then you should see the CC. Point the cursor at it, hold down the Control key, and then right-click the mouse. This brings up a menu that includes Clip Cubes, and then you need to make a new one.
#21431 by peter korzaan
Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:41 pm
Well... I tried what you have stated, but some weird results took place so in the end I have just pulled in the image again and re-set it up in the current version of the drawing, not referencing to any other older version.

Thanks for the replies, it certainly got me in awe of xrefs. At a later date i'll have to spend time and learn more about them and their use.

p.