Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#21474 by Bob Urbanek
Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:12 am
I'm thinking of getting a new monitor,probably a 22". Are the wide screens better for CAD work? Also, I have a T.V. video card in my computer.Would the display be distorted on the widescreen? I think that Neil is the expert in this area. Am I right?
Bob Urbanek
#21475 by Jon C. Hubart
Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:18 am
Neil may feel otherwise on this, I don't know, but I prefer the traditional proportions. The wide screens have less viewing area in the same size designation. A 19 inch 3x4 screen is larger than a 19" widescreen.
#21481 by RPadgett
Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:35 am
widescreens are fairly expensive (compared to traditional sizes). I have 2 -19" flat panels that work well, you can pick up a decent 19" for $225 or so.
#21485 by artmanvt2000
Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:51 am
My laptop has a widescreen and it is awesome. I find that it gives a lot more drawing area and when you access the symbol browser or layer manager it appears that you loose less drawing area. I would love to get a 20" or 24" widescreen for my desktop at work, but as RPadgett stated you will drop more cash for a widescreen.
#21489 by Greg Blandin
Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:40 am
There was a heated discussion at the swamp about monitors.

The question put forth was "Do dual monitors really increase production?"
#21505 by RPadgett
Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 am
Depends on what you have on the second monitor. If its your symbol browser, gotoviews, multiview windows, etc, then yes. If its your email window or internet browser, then probably not. ;)
#21506 by Greg Blandin
Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 am
RPadgett wrote:Depends on what you have on the second monitor. If its your symbol browser, gotoviews, multiview windows, etc, then yes. If its your email window or internet browser, then probably not. ;)

I happen to think it would increase productivity, because you have all those features easy to get to without opening and closing them to keep as much screen real estate as possible, but the main argument was getting actual data to support it.
#21508 by Bob Urbanek
Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 am
Actually, I found a couple of 22" monitors for $279.
Still wondering if it would distort my T.V. display.
Bob Urbanek
#22084 by deliriousga
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 pm
We use 24" widescreens and love them. I can have all of my tools open on the sides and still see everything. Make sure you get high resolution and not an "HDTV" monitor on accident.