Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#21666 by GuyS
Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:08 pm
For some reason my Clip It macro is not working as it always has in the past. Typically in my Key Plan I will hatch the tenant space with ansi31 or the like. I make sure that Search Hatch is toggled on in the Object Snap menu and ther use Clip It to remove the hatching that is underneath my label.....for example Proposed Space..... Clip It is not doing this anymore. Have I missed a toogle or something?
#21668 by Tony Blasio
Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:58 pm
The hatching isn't associative is it? Clip it won't cut out associative hatching. If it is you will need to explode the hatching or rehatch as non-associative.

The only other thing I can think of is are you set to the hatching layer? Doesn't Clip It need to be on the layer of the entities it is clipping?

Since voids have been possible on associative hatching I have not used Clip It much. I would hatch the area using associative hatching then draw a polyline rectangle around the text and then make it a void of the hatching.
#21669 by GuyS
Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:16 pm
Tony

That's it! I had the hatching set to associative. Re-did as you suggested and bingo!

Thanks for you help
#21672 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Hello Guy,

Rather than use non-associative hatching and clipping it, it would be better to edit the polyline of the associative hatch -- which would look the same, but uses only one entity instead of umpteen lines. I can't remember tha last time I used non-associative hatching -- maybe in version 6? :o
#21677 by GuyS
Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:48 pm
I want to place text within a hatch pattern and then remove the hatching from just around the text in a rectangular or round shape.

What I am doing now is rubber banding a box around a text label and Clip It removes just the hatching defined by the rubber banded box. The text remains.

Is there a better way of doing this? Neil I guess I am not quite sure of how to do it using your method.
#21681 by Tony Blasio
Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:30 pm
Neil is referring to the second method I mentioned. You use associative hatching which is essentially a polyline. You then draw a rectangular polyline around your text. The go to polyline voids, select add void and click on the hatching to select your master polyline. Then select your retangular polyline around your text. It will cut the hatching just like your clipit on non-associative hatching.
#21684 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 pm
Hello,

The Voids method is one way to go, using associative hatch, but there is another way. This way will export to DWG; while the voids will not. Here's the method of placing the hatch polyline (with the outline turned off):
I call it the "amoeba" method. :)
#21686 by GuyS
Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:23 pm
Funny how one does something for such a long time without realizing there is a much better way. Associative Hatching.

Neil- Now that's what I call "thinking outside the box". Great way of doing it!

Thanks so much for your help and great ideas guys!
#21700 by Bruce111
Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:13 am
If your text is labelling that is used regularly in drawing you could , like I do, make a symbol of the text with a rectangular SBP fill as a background over the hatch pattern. This has the same effect.

Regards
Bruce.
#22109 by ORWoody
Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 pm
If one has an area already hatched and wants to have the "clipped" area as was described by Neil, that clipped area is really easy to get. Simply add vertices to the existing hatch area until it is cleaned out. After Neil pointed me toward the use of associative hatching, I don't know that I've ever used non-associative again.
I have lots of changes made to my typical plans as they progress through governmental user/agencies and the associative hatching is just so nice to have since it easily updates right along with the plan.
Thanks Neil.
#22118 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 am
Hello,

Here's a Cheap Trick for using Contour search to do the same thing -- Bill Huther won the "best of the year" for this method a couple of years back:
The "trick" is to draw a temporary, non-printing line (the magenta lines in this case) to "connect" all the areas that you want to hatch around to the outside of the area -- and then Contour Search will do the whole area in one click!

Please note, I am showing the hatch outline so that it can be seen -- normally, you want to turn it off, so you can't see it.

Of course, I had to explode the window and door symbols for this to work, but there are workarounds for this, like nesting the window/door in a non-printing outline so when you explode it, only the outline becomes lines. The window/door stays as a symbol.
#22121 by Bruce111
Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:33 am
Shouldn't contour search fill as Neil has shown, without the additional lines?
#22122 by devinder
Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:10 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello,

The Voids method is one way to go, using associative hatch, but there is another way. This way will export to DWG; while the voids will not.

Voids in Associative hatch do export to DWG and import back as voids in DataCAD.
#22131 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:29 pm
Greetings Bruce,

Bruce111 wrote:Shouldn't contour search fill as Neil has shown, without the additional lines?

No, the Contour Search has to "follow" the edge of the area, so if you do not have the connecting lines, then it would hatch in the whole area, over the windows and door in this case.

The choice is yours: do it manually, or add the lines and then use Contour Search, or hatch the whole area and add Voids. Three perfectly good ways of using associative hatch in irregular areas. :)

I'm glad to hear that voids do export to DWG! That certainly improves the advantages of the voids method.
#22139 by Bruce111
Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:28 pm
Thank Neil,
When I hatch I find myself putting these line in to make contour search find the edges. I just though it would be nice if I didn't have to do it and that contour search would search for the inner edges as well as the outer edges. ( maybe this could be implemented by way of a switch on the side menu) I guess it depends on the project and style of finished drawing. Just my thoughts. :)

Many thanks.