Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#21784 by Bruce111
Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:15 am
Fellow Datacaders,

I was looking at symbol attributes and I was interested in information as to the Database linkage side to the text attribute. I can not seem to find any reference to it in the manual.

I was hoping that this linkage could provide a drop down box for the text attribute when prompted after the insertion of the symbol. This could give a predefined number of statuses for the current drawing, for instance. Further more it would be very nice if this linkage could look up data based on other information supplied, as in the lookup feature of spreadsheets and the like. I have attempted to create a txt file with data in it and link this to the attribute but nothing happens, what an I doing wrong?

Many thanks

Bruce.
#21789 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:40 am
Bruce111 wrote:...I have attempted to create a txt file with data in it and link this to the attribute but nothing happens, what an I doing wrong?

Hello Bruce,

I presume you have created all connected text attributes in each symbol.

Have you tried to use a spreadsheet like Excel to create your data table ?

After building all relationships, save the file as a TXT format "tab separated". Each line will be understood as a database "register".

When you set to "lookup" the main field it will fill all the other data fields, from that line, in the suplementary attributes at your symbol.

Hope this helps.
Miguel
#21794 by Bruce111
Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:54 am
Thanks Miguel ,

Now I'm getting the hang of it, ....that really good. It took a bit of experimentation but I got there in the end.

I think it would be nice if csv files were shown in the database file selection box without having to *.* to see the csv file you want to select.

Thanks again.

Regards

Bruce.
#21802 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 pm
Bruce111 wrote:...I think it would be nice if csv files were shown in the database file selection box without having to *.* to see the csv file you want to select.

Hi Bruce.

I agree with you. Just now in another thread happened a request for XLS format as well for databased attributes, and I've added also CSV, because of its wide portability.

Thanks,
Miguel