Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#21886 by rogerra
Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:03 pm
I was working on a drawing and my computer crashed. When I restarted the computer and tried to open the drawing I was working on, it would not open.

I got the following message: Unable to open file. File decompression error: 105.

Is there a way to recover the drawing? It represents a week's work.

Thanks for any help.

Roger
#21887 by Tony Blasio
Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:05 pm
I would recommend sending it ot DataCAD's Tech Support. They may be able to recover it for you.
#21888 by rogerra
Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:09 pm
Thanks Tony. I'll try that. I'll try opening the backup file first.
#23051 by airmail
Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:43 pm
I had the same problem. I tried opening the backup file by changing the file extension from .dbk to .aec I am not sure if that is the correct way tot open the file, but it didn't work. I get a file error window.
Is this some thing that Tech support can fix? How do I send them the file?
Thanks in advance.
Jamey
#23052 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:17 pm
Hello,

You don't need to rename the DBK -- if you change the file type that DataCAD is "looking" for, then you can open them directly. Though, it sounds like your DBK was also corrupted.

You can look for the ARF (Automatic Recovery File) and for the ARB (Auto Recovery Backup) and try to rename them -- so they don't get erased when you try to open the original file.

Nothing can make up for Saving early and often! Use Control-S as often as you can think of it -- and do it twice in a row to make the DBK be the same as the AEC file.
#23071 by airmail
Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:19 am
Thank you Neil for the quick response. I was able to recover half of my work in the recover-archive. I am wondering why only half though? I know I had saved my work at a much later point. (by pressing the F key, like you mentioned)
#23124 by jbdesigns454
Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 pm
Sometimes if you just copy and rename the .aec file you can get your work back.