Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#22105 by deliriousga
Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:16 pm
Since Vista is all you can get on a new computer now, I thought it would be nice if we could post any tips we may have to help make DataCAD run smoothly. It sure beats everyone having to go through all of the trial and error so please post your tips if you have any.

Here are some I've found so far:

1) When you install DCAD, run it from Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the "setup.exe" file and choose "Run as administrator". That will make sure the files are installed in the right places. Do not plug the hardlock in until after step 2.

2) After you install DCAD, reboot and then install the latest hardlock drivers from the website (as administrator like before). After yo install the new drivers, reboot then plug in the hardlock. Everything should be running fine after that.

3) We had trouble with DCAD running when we logged the computer into the domain. If you have trouble with DCAD not running or locking up when you start it, right-click on the DCAD icon in the startup menu and set it to "run as administrator". Also, have your network admin set you up as a user of the program with full rights to it (also done through the startup menu icon).

4) If DCAD runs slower than usual, try right-clicking on the DCAD icon in the startup menu and set the compatibility mode to "Windows XP (service pack 2). It seems to run faster for us in that mode, but it depends on what mood the computer is in.
#22106 by deliriousga
Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:24 pm
One problem I've come across while working with XREFs in Vista is the "Ctrl+Right Click" then "Open" command.

Say "File A" is the file I am working in and it has another file, "File B", XREFed in. I try to "Ctrl+Right Click" to open "File B" and work on it, but when it tries to open, it quits and goes back to "File A".

To fix the problem, zoom out or in a little in "File A", then save the file. After that, "File B" will usually open when you "Ctrl+Right Click" to open it again (about 9 out of 10 times).
#22117 by deliriousga
Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:02 am
Make sure your DCAD USB hardlock key is plugged in BEFORE you start DCAD. If it's not, then the hardlock driver gets messed up and you have to re-install it.