Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#22767 by spinfox
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:07 am
Can somebody explain how checkplot (fit to) works?

cause I dont see any diference, to fit to and none.

Its like acad ( scale to fit)?

thanks in advance
#22770 by Tony Blasio
Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:06 am
The way I understand it if you have a drawing set up to plot on 18x24 on a plotter you could have a check plot scaled to fit on a 11x17 sheet on a printer. It won't be to scale so that it can all fit on the smaller page.
#22776 by Greg Blandin
Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:52 am
Tony has explained it well.

We typically use it to make pseudo half plots.

We usually do 24x36 plots, but also like smaller easier to use drawings.

So instead of selecting 11x17 and trying to find a plot scale that fits it or making one that is not standard for us, we can leave the normal plot at the 24x36, select check plot and pick the printer/plotter to send it to and the size of the paper and it automagically figures out the scale. For us it's typically 44%.

You don't need to reposition the quick layout (if you use that), just click and go.
#22777 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:22 am
Hello,

Just add one detail: not only does it take the setting for the main plotter and reduce it to fit onto a smaller sheet, it also scales down the line thickness proportionally, to help keep things readable. :o
#22798 by Greg Blandin
Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:59 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello,

Just add one detail: not only does it take the setting for the main plotter and reduce it to fit onto a smaller sheet, it also scales down the line thickness proportionally, to help keep things readable. :o

Does it? I know it says it's suppose to, but I've seen otherwise.
#22818 by Graeme
Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:35 pm
Yeah Greg I am with you on that.
I don't think it does reduce line weights, because they fatten up when reducing
#22823 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:06 pm
Hmmm, it's working here. Scaling the pen table weights, at least. Not sure about line weights, we don't use those. That might be the mix up here.
#22832 by Dick Eades
Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:34 am
Why bother with Check Plot? Use BatchPlotting and write the file to a pdf. Reader will scale it to fit whatever sheet your printer handles and you get to keep/email/archive the pdf file. I left Check Plot behind years ago.
#22840 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:11 am
Dick Eades wrote:Why bother with Check Plot? Use BatchPlotting and write the file to a pdf. Reader will scale it to fit whatever sheet your printer handles and you get to keep/email/archive the pdf file. I left Check Plot behind years ago.
Because it does exactly what your saying above without having to use any other programs like Reader. :wink:
#22845 by Dick Eades
Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:31 am
But it doesn't leave you with a savable file. The primary advantage of cutting the pdf is its archivability and portability. I like having a digital record of what was printed at a given release.

For my volume releases I transfer compiled pdf files to an ftp site for printing and those can also go to the owner although they are too big for email ranging up to 35mb. On a recent job, the pdf file went to an ftp site run by a blueprinter in one city nearby who made it available to another blueprinter in the client's city in another state (the project is in yet a third state). No freight charges, less fossil fuel consumed.
#22848 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:41 am
Your right about PDF's benefits, but I think most of this topic was about getting a small printed output for mark up & hand review and such. If it was just for PDF's there would be no need for scaling anything really.
#22851 by Dick Eades
Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:52 am
I'm yearning for markup ability in the pdf without having to spring the bucks for Acrobat. Couple that with a Wacom tablet and we've got a winner.