Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#23488 by GuyS
Thu May 03, 2007 1:14 pm
Is there a way for me to create a way of changing text with one click? Right now I do these steps:

Go to the Change Menu>>>
Click on Text>>>
Click on Contents>>>
Click on Entity

I use this very often and it would be nice to be able to just click once.
I believe creating a Macro would work but honestly haven't had much experience creating Macros.
#23491 by joshhuggins
Thu May 03, 2007 1:25 pm
I use the following code:
Code: Select allC^8#^S8^S2^F1^
//Change Text Contents
in my dcadwin.mcr so Alt+C triggers this macro.
#23494 by GuyS
Thu May 03, 2007 1:38 pm
Josh

Thanks so much! That worked. God I love this program!
#23496 by Andous
Thu May 03, 2007 2:03 pm
This sounds great and will save me a lot of time!
However I am not familiar with the use of "code", where would I apply this text in order to use this macro?

I've been using DataCAD for almost 10 years now, I think I'm ready to add some new tricks!

andy
#23509 by GuyS
Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Code changes are to the datacad\support\DCADWIN.MCR. Make sure folder options (under the Tools menu in Windows Explorer ....allows for viewing the extensions...in this case "MCR"). It is a good idea to make a copy of the original file and save it elsewhere in case you need it.
Open up the DCADWIN.MCR file in note pad and make the changes as per Josh's comments and save.

Actually there is a fairly simple logic to the added characters. S8 is the keystrokes "Shift F8" then S2 is the keystokes Shift F2 etc., just like it is laid out in the menus. Very handy to create your own little macros for minimizing steps in Datacad.

I too have been using this program for many years (12-14). I have never taken any training on it though (that says something about the ease of use of this program). I am constantly learning something new though, even features that go back to the DOS versions...that I have never used.

One of the powerful features I recently discovered was the object viewer function. I now use this to help my clients visualize (via the model produced by object viewer), the space in my designs. And look how long that feature has been around! Using a screen recorder program you can send your clients a moving model of their new space before it is even built.

The forum here is excellent and people are always willing to share their ideas and help with problems.
Last edited by GuyS on Thu May 03, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#23512 by joshhuggins
Thu May 03, 2007 3:35 pm
You can get a pretty good idea on some of the basic of how Datacad's codes work by visiting my website here in the Datacad Toolbar area. The some of the same methods apply to your mcr files. Good luck :D
#23515 by Andous
Thu May 03, 2007 4:09 pm
Thank you both!! This forum is great.
I'll setup a couple macros when I return from the wilds of Algonquin Park next week.

cheers
#23524 by Nick Pyner
Thu May 03, 2007 8:54 pm
You may also run your keyboard macro from a toolbar icon. This is in an appropriate "DTB" file in the toolbars folder.

Add the lines

[ ch-txt_S]
Hint= Change Text CONTENT
Icon=ch-txt_S
A=^;^F0^S8^S2^F1

The position of this information in the file determines the position of the icon on screen.

I brewed up an icon by editing an existing one. It simply has the letters CT against a green background.
#23534 by Jon C. Hubart
Fri May 04, 2007 7:40 am
joshhuggins wrote:I use the following code:
//Change Text Contents

I use this but have added one more character. By adding a $ at the end of the string you can hover your cursor over the text you want to change while entering the Alt+C and save the step of selecting it separately.
Code: Select allC^8#^S8^S2^F1^$
//Change Text Contents
#23536 by Heinrich
Fri May 04, 2007 8:01 am
Jon C. Hubart wrote:I have added one more character. By adding a $ at the end of the string you can hover your cursor over the text you want to change while entering the Alt+C and save the step of selecting it separately.
Code: Select allC^8#^S8^S2^F1^$
//Change Text Contents

HOLY CRAP! :shock:
This changes EVERYTHING!

-Redd
#23540 by GuyS
Fri May 04, 2007 8:38 am
Very Cool! Thanks
#25545 by Tamara
Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:42 am
joshhuggins wrote:I use the following code:
//Change Text Contents

I am using this macro now. Thank you very much for providing it. I would like to write a few of my own and think I understand everything in the command string except for the 8#. What does that refer to? Thank you for your help.