Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#23726 by MJ Kant
Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 pm
Is Building Information Modeling (BIM) being incorporated at all into DataCAD 12?
#23741 by Ben at TJB Architects
Tue May 08, 2007 5:40 pm
I might get chastised for saying "No", but...no.
The 3D tools are not near complete enough to entertain that notion...i.e., no 3D Smart Roof for starters.
I'm sure that is not what you wanted to hear, but there it is.

Edit: Josh has a post that addresses this thread quite succinctly, but as it is not in a public forum he will have to consider posting here himself.
#23864 by Mark Bell
Thu May 10, 2007 7:04 pm
I'd say it's more Hybrid Parametric than BIM. IMO...it's much better as you have total flexibility in mixing standard and 'smart' entities. DC12 will undoubtedly be enhanced in future upgrades/versions with additional features in this area, but the ground work appears to be there now giving you the options of working with 2D lines, 2.5D lines, 3D solid primitives or the smart 2D-3D entities. The learning curve is perhaps the time taken to drink a cup of coffee!!!
#24182 by MJ Kant
Thu May 17, 2007 11:22 am
From articles I've read and discussions in seminars, it appears that the design idustry is heading in this direction. Maybe with DataCAD's "Smart Entities" and parametrics, they are moving in this direction as well. Will DataCAD have the ability to maintain the "Smart Entities" so that when you export a file into DWG format, it will be able to be utilized by someone using AutoCAD or Revit that utilizes BIM?
#24208 by Dick Eades
Thu May 17, 2007 8:47 pm
The farther we go along this route to smart entities, the more unlikely it is that we will ever reach a common standard. This is something that will have to be forced by some authority and I dread the solution.