Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#23758 by The Cad Man
Wed May 09, 2007 11:02 am
I wanted to check out the purge command, as I am currently using V.10, to see how it works. I opened 2 DC5 files and was going to compare the purge command with the layer utility command. As I was purging one of the files, saving it as an ACE file, the program immediately crashed!! I then tried to open the file i had yet to purge, and it would not open. Come to find out, V.12 will not open any of my DC5 files!! I restarted my machine, and that still did not work, any ideas??
#23759 by joshhuggins
Wed May 09, 2007 11:12 am
Try clearing out your Datacad Temp folder, open your DC5 file, just close and save the file as a AEC first and then reopen it and try your purge. Are you trying the purge under the file menu or using the automatic purge from the ini settings file when you close the drawing? Are you opening the dc5 files from your harddrive or maybe a CD? Let us know :)
#23760 by Mark Toce
Wed May 09, 2007 11:12 am
The Cad Man wrote:I wanted to check out the purge command, as I am currently using V.10, to see how it works. I opened 2 DC5 files and was going to compare the purge command with the layer utility command. As I was purging one of the files, saving it as an ACE file, the program immediately crashed!! I then tried to open the file i had yet to purge, and it would not open. Come to find out, V.12 will not open any of my DC5 files!! I restarted my machine, and that still did not work, any ideas??
Are the DC5 files that fail to open greater than 1MB in size? The free trial version has a file size limit.

With regard to the file that opened but failed to purge, at what point during the process did it fail? Did you receive an error message?
#23762 by The Cad Man
Wed May 09, 2007 11:19 am
Both files I opened were approx 6MBs, and they opened fine the first time (opened from a drive on our server). Once I chose Purge, from the file menu, and clicked save as AEC it crashed. It does let me open DC5 file less than 1MB, strange how it allowed me to open larger files the 1st time around though...
#23765 by Mark Toce
Wed May 09, 2007 11:38 am
The Cad Man wrote:Both files I opened were approx 6MBs, and they opened fine the first time (opened from a drive on our server). Once I chose Purge, from the file menu, and clicked save as AEC it crashed. It does let me open DC5 file less than 1MB, strange how it allowed me to open larger files the 1st time around though...
Not sure how it could have opened a file larger than the limit...

Could you send me a copy of the file that crashed when you tried to purge it? Send it to techsupport@datacad.com. Thanks!
#23766 by Neil Blanchard
Wed May 09, 2007 11:38 am
Hello,

If you plan on working on the DC5 files again in v10, then you should probably not use v11 to purge them -- you can only use DWG export to open the files again in v10.

I would use the Layer Utility macro in v10, instead!
#23772 by The Cad Man
Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 am
Ulitimately I plan to do everything in V.12, once it is released :D I was just concerned that there was a bug with the purge command.
#23775 by Mark Toce
Wed May 09, 2007 11:51 am
The Cad Man wrote:Ulitimately I plan to do everything in V.12, once it is released :D I was just concerned that there was a bug with the purge command.
I sure hope there isn't. And if there is, I'd like to find it now, before we send CDs out for duplication...
#23777 by The Cad Man
Wed May 09, 2007 11:54 am
Thats convienent!! Do you think there will be any major issues going from V.10 to V.12?