Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#23838 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Thu May 10, 2007 11:43 am
Is there any way to measure a SmartWall wall segment?

Previously I could get the length of a (dumb) wall segment by either going to ALT-X F3 (measures) menu and picking the wall segment I wanted to know the length of (or also simply by Identify).

Neither method appears to work with the new SmartWalls. Am I missing something?

Also: Is there a way to turn off the display of the "X"'s at the node points?

Thanks,

Aaron
#23852 by Mark Toce
Thu May 10, 2007 2:14 pm
Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:Is there any way to measure a SmartWall wall segment?

Previously I could get the length of a (dumb) wall segment by either going to ALT-X F3 (measures) menu and picking the wall segment I wanted to know the length of (or also simply by Identify).

Neither method appears to work with the new SmartWalls. Am I missing something?
Smart Walls do not support Measure\Line nor do they display their length when Identified. An option for this is on the wishlist for a future update. For now, you'll have to use Measure\Point-to-point.

Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:Also: Is there a way to turn off the display of the "X"'s at the node points?
Display of node points cannot be turned off. They will not appear when you print your drawing.

The Architect\Smart Walls menu does have an option which controls display of the node point numbers.
#23857 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Thu May 10, 2007 3:04 pm
Thanks Mark!

Unfortunately Alt-X/F3 is SO in-grained it may take me a while to NOT go there :D (I still usually use Alt-X/F3 over Identify also...You know what they say - Old dogs, new tricks etc :D )

Definitely a future wish list item!

I suppose I will get used to the little "X"'s, but it (to me) sort of adds a visual clutter - I also dislike grid display for theat reason - but ofcourse I can (and always do) turn grid display off.

Could this also be a wish list Item (turning the X display off) , or is it suposed to serve a purpose such as identifying smart wall vs. dumb lines?

Again Thanks for your reply,

Aaron
#23879 by Mark Toce
Fri May 11, 2007 7:11 am
Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:Could this also be a wish list Item (turning the X display off) , or is it suposed to serve a purpose such as identifying smart wall vs. dumb lines?
I personally think it is helpful as a visual indicator that the lines are Smart Walls, but I'm sure 50% of our users will disagree :wink: . Consider it added to the wishlist.
#23882 by Greg Blandin
Fri May 11, 2007 7:54 am
Mark Toce wrote:I personally think it is helpful as a visual indicator that the lines are Smart Walls, but I'm sure 50% of our users will disagree :wink: . Consider it added to the wishlist.

Just gotta remember Mark that you've been working with them for quite a while now and are used to them. Most of us trying the test drive are just getting used to them. We like change but also like to see things how we are used to them.

I think it will come in handy. Just need a little time to get used to it.

It's looking good so far. I've only had a little time to play with 12, but what I have seen so far has been nice.
#23890 by Brian Engebretson
Fri May 11, 2007 9:18 am
I agree, they’ll just take a little getting used to. Although I wouldn’t mind if they were as small as possible. Like the dots used for Grid 1. I don’t have the grids turned on so they wouldn’t get confused with the grids dots, but I can see that might be a problem for those that do have the grids turned on.