Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#24311 by csmckillip
Mon May 21, 2007 12:00 am
I started to layout a simple 3d floor plan that I have been working on in 11. First I started going around the outside of the residence and started building the interior walls. I use a wide style of walls as far as arched openings in thickened walls, these walls will range from 8 to 16 inches thick, I first just created a 4" wall, then I went to the stretch menu, as I always do, and tried to thicken the wall.

Just doesn't happen. with 12 am I going to have to create a thicker wall for each type of wall thickness? If so I don't see how this could speed up the process.
#24312 by Martell
Mon May 21, 2007 2:09 am
with 12 am I going to have to create a thicker wall for each type of wall thickness?

Yes.

so I don't see how this could speed up the process.

How many walltypes do you use? :?: :?:
I am using up to twenty. Do you using more?
Why is it a problem to create these?

Martell
#24316 by Tony Blasio
Mon May 21, 2007 6:32 am
The whole point is that the wall is smart enough to know what it is and it maintains it's properties.

Yes you will need to have a different type of wall for each different wall thickness and such. IE 2x4 Exterior, 2x4 Interior, 2x6 Exterior, 2x6 Interior, .....

The beauty is the replacement of these types. Let's say you have a plans that is drawn with 2x4 Exterior Smart Walls. Then the client requests that they be 2x6 construction. Before you would have to stretch each wall. Now you can search and replace all the 2x4 Exterior with 2x6 Exterior and all your wall intersections re-clean automatically. This is one of the many benefits.

You can still use the old 2D Wall method so don't feel you have to use the new way if it doesn't work for you.
#24333 by Michael Olney
Mon May 21, 2007 10:16 am
csmckillip wrote:with 12 am I going to have to create a thicker wall for each type of wall thickness? If so I don't see how this could speed up the process.

Using v12 for real work, I haven't had the new smart walls, doors, or windows slow me down. In my experience, it is much easier and faster to change wall thickness or door and window sizes and it doesn't take much time to create new wall, door, or window styles. The new "Search and Replace" feature that Tony described really makes changing these easy.