Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#24430 by GuyS
Tue May 22, 2007 4:39 pm
I have a HP Designjet 220. It should print a 24 x 36 drawing... however drawings that I have received to two different engineering firms are not plotting out correctly (they are probably using AutoCAD). My plotter is "clipping" both sides of the drawing so that about an inch either side of the drawing is not printing. I am using Adobe 8 and pulling my hair out trying to solve the problem. Changing the printer properties to a oversize D does not solve the problem. I think it is an Adobe issue but I am not sure.
#24432 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 22, 2007 6:15 pm
Hello Guy,

What flavor of Windows are you using? I'm assuming they provided you with the PDF files? What are the settings that you are using in the Page Handling section of the Adobe Print dialog? Shrink to Fit Page, Auto-Rotate and Center, Choose Paper Source by PDF page size?
#24434 by GuyS
Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm
I am using Windows XP.

Yes, the engineering firms are providing me the PDF files.

I am using "Auto Rotate and Center" and also "Choose Paper Source by PDF page size".

I haven't tried to "Shrink to Fit Page" because I was concerned that it may throw the scale off my printed drawing.

By the way, in the intermin (after posting my original message on the forum) I got the engineering firms to send me plot files. I downloaded a program called "GoPlot" and sent it to my plotter. That worked! The margins were OK.

My preference would be to fix the PDF problem though, especially since it is such a common way of exchanging drawings these days. So if you can figure out what is wrong I would be very grateful Niel!
#24436 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 22, 2007 9:10 pm
Hello,

Yes, GoPlot Plus is a good program. View Companion is an even better one, but you have to pay money for it -- it will allow you to convert PLT to DWG (& PDF's I think?).

The comment I had on the DJ220 is that the driver is probably very generic. HP is not all that great at the drivers for their new machines, let alone really old ones. You might want to try the WinLine Plus driver -- it is well written and efficient; though again, it will cost you money. They do have a trial version, that "watermarks" the plot, so you can see if it works for you.
#24444 by Greg Blandin
Wed May 23, 2007 7:47 am
We have a 220 as well and have the same problem with some engineering firms. The hard coded margins on the drivers make things difficult to get a plot without losing an edge.

I never found a solution to this problem, though I did not have the problem with the PDF's we made ourselves.

We now have a HP 1050sc as of about 1 1/2 months ago. No more hand feeding for us! Yipee!
#24523 by GuyS
Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 pm
I am a great fan of Canon products. Nevertheless my HP 220 has worked flawlessly for me since 1995 so I'll continue to use it until it wears out (that may be a while because it is built like a tank!).

The plot file work around is "doing the trick". I can use plot files instead of Adobe PDF files. I must say that I am not a fan of Adobe products mainly due to the very poor support you get from this company.

Thanks for the info Neil!