Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#24736 by wolverine
Tue May 29, 2007 8:19 am
This may have been covered already but I have uninstalled dcad12 using add/remove. My .aec extensions are still there, but no longer associated with any program. How to fix?
#24742 by joshhuggins
Tue May 29, 2007 10:58 am
Maybe try running the latest v.11.08.01 patch to re-associate the files? You could also run these registry editsfrom my site to re-register the file types. They worked for 11.08.01 before v.12 but I'm not sure if they will work after v.12 is installed. It should work but it won't hurt anything if it's doesn't.
#24755 by Dave
Tue May 29, 2007 4:19 pm
My computer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types scroll down to the AEC file ext
Delete
Close

Find a .AEC file in My Computer or My Documents
Double Click
Select the program from a list
OK
Browse to the folder containing DCADWIN.exe in my case it's in O:\Program Files\DataCAD
Make sure a tick is in "Always use the selected program..."

I've found this the much more better way to get this change to stick. :D

Dave
#24757 by joshhuggins
Tue May 29, 2007 5:58 pm
Yeah that method will work also, but you'll have to do it for all the extensions you want to re associate. Using the patch method should associate all the the default extensions and icons I believe. My registry edit does what the patch does and also assigns a few additional icons for Datacad file types. FWIW.
#24762 by wolverine
Tue May 29, 2007 8:00 pm
I will try the patch. I also still have .dc5's that I have not converted to .aec, and only do if I need the drawing. I typically make a copy of the .dc5 and rename to dcad11 verision.
Thanks for the tips.
#24764 by joshhuggins
Wed May 30, 2007 12:26 am
Just to double check, your not manually changing the extension from dc5 to aec right? :? You need to open the copy of your dc5 in v.11 which will create the aec file in the process and save that. Could cause some issues renaming the extension. Might not, but you never know what could happen when working outside in the grey areas. Just a heads up just in case.
#24775 by wolverine
Wed May 30, 2007 8:11 am
Nope, just right click, copy, paste and rename. Open the "new" file in 11, original stays intact. I am somewhat of a computer file packrat, never know when I might need the dc5 file (probably never).
#24776 by Tony Blasio
Wed May 30, 2007 8:13 am
If you just open the dc5 in DataCAD 11 it actually creates a new AEC file and leaves the dc5 intact. You end up haveing two files with the same name and different extension (IE plan.dc5 & plan.aec). Much less work for you.
#24920 by wolverine
Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:02 pm
Neither works. Had to reload dcad12 test drive, all extension attributes came back. Not sure what else to modify.