Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#1849 by WILL Q
Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:56 pm
I am a new member to this forum, so I apologize if this question has been posted before. I work in a multi-family architecture firm. In our building plans we have each individual unit plan x-refed in it. Sometimes there are as many as 50 unit plans x-refed into the file. This works great for us except for one small problem. If any layers within a view are changed in the unit plans, then the views are not automatically updated in the building plan. What we currently do to fix this problem is to go into the referenced file manager and re-select the appropriate view for each unit. When we have 50 x-refs this can be a little time consuming. Is there a way to get the views from the unit plans to automatically update?
#1850 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:22 pm
Xrefs use to update dynamicly from the last forced saved version of the plans being xrefed in. I wish it would work like that again (hint hint).

For now Instead of redefineing each xref if you have a lot like you mentioned, I have just been closing and saving the main drawing and reopening it. It should be faster than resetting each xrefs layer settings. Hope this helps, and hope they get things back to normal again.
#1852 by WILL Q
Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:43 pm
Thanks for your help. Actually, the problem occurs when a layer name is changed or deleted in a particular view within the x-refed file. For example, let's say that I have a unit plan x-refed in a building plan. Then, later on, I change the unit plan, adding 2 layers. Now when I refresh the x-ref, the new layers are not in place. From the x-ref manager I have to go to "available views" and select the view that correspnds to the unit plan. What I would like, is to go into the x-ref manager, select a view for a particular x-ref, then anytime the view changes, the x-ref changes to match the view.
#1853 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:11 pm
Ah gotcha. I'm don't think the xrefs are actually looking at the GTV's when the Xref-manager is closed. It seems like the GTV's are only read when the manager is open as a easy toggle for layers on/off. If you a wanting to xref complete GTV's, and have the xref keep the GTV's upto date, then I think it would take quite a bit of programing revisions to the Xref system, which might actually cause the xrefs to respond even slower than they do now, which can be quite slow when there is a lot of data being referenced.

So what might be a better wishlist item is that in the reference manager that you could select multiple instances of the same xref ie; multiple xrefs referenceing "C:\FileA123.aec" and redefine them at one time. But this also could become a hassle when you want certin copys of the xref to reference to say GTV1 and other xrefs to reference GTV2. So to again add to the wishlist pile, being able to give custom names to xrefs for easier identification would be a big help, when your staring at tons of GTV's like below. "Uh which one?"

#1855 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:17 pm
Hello Will:

This would be a nice feature -- and it would be even better to have this sort of thing with MSP details! :wink:

For the moment, if you save the XRef'd file in the GTV that you want to use, and then in the master file, do a "group" reload ofall the XRef's that use that GTV. And then repeat for all the other GTV's.