Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25098 by larryhuff
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:02 am
After being displaced from a job (where I used ProE and AutoCAD) because of Chinese imports, I am needing to use my old DataCAD 8.05 again. After a new hard disk installation on my XP Pro system, I had to re-install it and it seems to be functioning except for the fact that the menu bar runs off the top of the screen.

I have tried changing screen resolution but that has not helped. I would prefer to have the menu showing for a while during my transition time back to DataCAD. Forum and FAQ searches have not been any help. Any hints???
#25099 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:12 am
Any chance of posting a screen shot of this?

My first blind guess would be do you have enough room to display the whole menu? Do you have toolbars along the top or bottom? It's been a long time since I used or saw v8.05.
#25105 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:37 am
Maybe bump up your monitors resolution. It could be set to 800x600 if you haven't updated your video card drivers with the most recent version yet.
#25106 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:50 am
Hello Larry & welcome back!

Since v8 came out when Win98 was still shiny and new, it's amazing that it runs in WinXP at all! :o You might want to consider upgrading to v12, or maybe v11 LT? This will still be a fraction of the cost of those other CADD programs...
#25108 by larryhuff
Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:37 pm
Thanks for the replies. Resolution is set to 1280 x 960. I would like to upgrade but right now I need to generate some income first...I can do what I need to in 8.05 even with the menu problem...it would just be better if I could fix it. Actually, I could use the tool bars without the menu but I cannot see how to disable the menu. Here is a screenshot ( I used the "Add an image..." link but it is not showing up on the preview. Give me a hint about how to insert an image if it doesn't come through):

#25110 by Jon C. Hubart
Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:39 pm
The oldest version I have installed is 10 but this may lead to the answer.

In 10 I can go to "Tools", "Program Preferences...", "Interface Settings" and I see a mini image of my DataCAD screen. If I select the menu displayed on the left side I get a new menu that allows me to change my font size. By reducing the size of the font the menu buttons get smaller.

Try this in 8 and let us know how far you get.
#25111 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:50 pm
I agree with Jon. Make the font size smaller and the menu should fit fine. I think the font size is making the buttons too big and pushing your menu off the screen.
#25113 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:00 pm
That's right. Menu text size.

There is also a free update for 8.08 that incorporated some improvements on printer settings and program preferences, what can make easier your adjustements.
Look for it here: [http://www.datacad.com/update/frame.htm]

HTH,
Miguel
#25174 by larryhuff
Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:50 am
Thanks for the suggetions. I changed the resolution settings to 1280 x 960 and now I can see the entire menu.