Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#25385 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:48 am
Greetings,

I have reinstalled WinXP Pro SP2 on my older machine, and I wanted to run it in a Limited User mode -- but I cannot run DataCAD 11 in this user! :? I tried it with DataCAD installed to the Program Files, and directly in the C: drive, and neither one lets it run properly.

Is this how it has always been? Because, this makes it quite difficult to run Windows (more) securely. When v12 arrives (it shipped yesterday?!), I'll see how this works...
#25386 by Mark Toce
Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:52 am
When installed in Program Files\, you need to log on as Admin and grant full permissions for the limited user account on the DataCAD\ folder and its sub-folders. I'm surprised it fails when installed to C:\DataCAD though...
#25387 by Ben at TJB Architects
Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:06 am
I found that I had to make sure the User was set to Power User on our network for DataCAD to work.
Been that way for years...I guess I never thought twice about it.
#25388 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:03 am
Hello,

Okay, I tried changing the folder properties to not be Read Only in the Admin user -- but when I then log in as the Limited User, it is still Read Only...and DataCAD 11 will not run properly. I get several error messages about not being able to write to INI files. :cry:

Also, when I set up this user, I didn't see the Power User setting -- do I have to add it?
#25389 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:20 am
As the Admin can't you set the Limited User to have Full Control over the folder that DataCAD is installed to? In the Security Tab of the Folder Properties add the user to the list, then select the user and click on Full Control. This should take care of it.
Last edited by Tony Blasio on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
#25390 by Ben at TJB Architects
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:20 am
Also, when I set up this user, I didn't see the Power User setting -- do I have to add it?

Here is what I have always had to do:

Control Panel, User Accounts.
Add...
User name:...then Domain:
Then it asks what level of access do I want to grant...
On my system it appears that the Standard User is part ot the Power Users Group.
But, I can also set it by going to Other and selecting Power User.
This is all done thru Administrator login and on a WK2000 Server network.
Hope it helps.
#25392 by Mark Toce
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:22 am
Log on as Administrator. Open Windows Explorer and go to the C:\Program Files folder. Right click on the DataCAD folder and choose Properties. Go to the Security tab. In the "Group or user names:" section, highlight the name of the Limited User account. In the "Permissions for <username>:" section check every option that is available (especially "Full Control") in the "Allow" column. Be sure to click OK to exit.

Now log off the Administrator and log back on as the Limited User. You should be able to run DataCAD.
#25394 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:38 am
Hi Mark,

I do not see the Security tab -- I currently have DataCAD 11 installed right on the C: drive, if that matters. I see General, Sharing, and Customize.

I see now that the Read Only setting is back (it didn't "stick") and I think I've got it to "stick" now, so I'll try things now. Oh, I did just change that account to Power User, as well.

[Edit: Still no go...]
#25395 by Mark Toce
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:46 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:I do not see the Security tab
I have not seen this before. You sure you're logged on as the Admin?
#25398 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 am
Are you on a domain Neil?
#25402 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 am
Hi Mark & Josh,

I'm using (a "fresh") WinXP Pro SP2 with all the updates, and yes, I was logged in as an Admin user -- or does it have to be the Administrator?

I'm just on my small home/office peer-to-peer LAN.

Could the Sunbelt (Kerio) firewall be causing this? I installed DataCAD 11 from the CD and updated it while logged in as the Admin user, and the icon shows up on the Desktop of the Power User account. BTW, the DataCAD folder still shows as Read Only while logged in as the Power User, and of course, I cannot change this... :roll:

[Edit: I have reinstalled to the C:\Program Files\DataCAD and changed the Read Only (this is fussy) -- but, it is now working! I did not see a Security tab, though.]